A New Venture

Nov 23, 2019
Hello All,
I have been doing armature photography for many years and recently ventured into astrophotography, which I'm finding to be a completely different type of photography. I'm using a Canon 70D and a Canon 6D Mark ii modified for astrophography . Both are great cameras, but offer different challenges.

With all that being said I am looking for anyone that has any advice on this new adventure. Any and all information that you care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank all,
Gerry D.

Nov 18, 2019
what kind of astrophotography are you doing? shots of the milky way or are you getting more serious and doing deep space photography?
i've done mw photography and moon shots, though i mostly fumble through it.
the moon will wash out your sky. so shoot when it's not full or not above the horizon.

this is from the 2015 lunar eclipse. i shot all of these as separate frames with the moon in the center of the frame for shaprness. i exposed for the moon, which in terms of exposure was pretty close to shooting in daylight. as the eclipse got closer and closer to climax the light dropped considerably. several frames from specific time intervals were stacked and positioned in the image below.

my first mw shot. there's a rule to get sharp stars in your mw shots. take 500 and divide by the focal length. your shutter speed can't be any slower than that number in seconds. so 500/18=27.7 sec. i shot at 20 seconds so i should have stationary stars. this was shot in a single frame. tripod and cable release were used.
18mm on aps-c camera
20s, f/2.8, iso 3200.

and this one was a similar setup. except i took 2 shots, one for the foreground and one for the stars. the foreground was a much longer exposure, maybe 150sec or so. i forget.

Nov 23, 2019
Loki, Thank you for your reply. I have tried all types from DSO's , the planets, moon, star clusters, galaxies and just single stars. Your pictures are awesome and I'm not at that level yet, but working on it. I know of the 500 rule and use it when necessary. I also use Backyard EOS, which is excellent software for Canon cameras. I also have Orion G4 Deep space imaging camera (dedicated astrophotography camera) which I have not used yet, still practicing with it. I use my telescope for a lot of shots with my Canon 70D, but I just ordered a Canon 6D Mark II which has been modified for astrophotography . Attached is my attempt of the Andromeda Galaxy. I used the telescope for this shot with the 70D at a 21 second exposure, with an ISO of 3200. My profile picture is the Orion Nebula. Sometime I shoot in RAW but for the most part still using JEPEG until I get better. I have Photoshop Elements for post processing, that's all I can afford as I'm retired and on a fixed income.

I'm going to keep at it and maybe someday my captures will look like yours. Thanks again.

Gerry D

Attachments

Nov 18, 2019
you're a bit further along with the gear than i am. you got a really nice exposure on the adromeda pic.
if you can't do lightroom for raw processing then you should check out dark table. it's free, open source raw processing software. gimp is a free software alternative to photoshop for further editing after dark table. i shot raw+jpg until i was comfortable with editing raw files.

ASK THE COMMUNITY