Question Are Canons better than Nikons for beginners?

I feel Canon have a more logical layout in controls and menus. Can't speak for latest Nikon cameras. Canon are very consistent right through their range though, I would imagine someone familier with an entry level Canon could also pick up and use/change settings/controls on a 1DX II without much difficulty. Nikon have tended to be a bit all over the place with things, as an example I have 3 nikon cameras, two have ISO buttons (in totally different places) and one doesn't even have one (but can be assigned to a function button, in a different place to either of the others!)

Nov 15, 2019
I'm going to basically echo James here, but I have consistently used Canon throughout my career and can honestly say - once you have a basic understanding of the controls you will be able to pick up any other Canon and have a good idea where things were.

It got to the point where I could adjust the settings on my camera (Shutter, ISO and Aperture) without looking at the camera...

I'm now using a Sony and am having trouble adjusting to their layout.

Nov 18, 2019
www.instagram.com
I've had my hands on quite a few different cameras over the years and I keep coming back to Canon. I just find them more logical and easier to control. You might not though, you might find Nikon easier. I suggest you have a play with both and see which one you can control easier and which one feels more natural in your hands.

Some of my best tips for beginners and learners....
  • Entry-level cameras are the worse for learning on. Buy a second-hand pro or semi-pro camera. Look for ease of changing aperture, ISO and shutter speed. Also, ease of switching from Manual to Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority. Being able to quickly change your focal points is also a bonus.
  • Lenses are more important than your camera body. You'll probably change camera bodies several times throughout the years, but good lenses stay with you. So invest in good lenses!
  • One of the first lense purchases for a lot of photographers is the Nifty Fifty. 50mm 1.8 lens, the best bang for your buck and a great lens to learn on.
  • Join your local camera club. Sit at the back, listen and watch. Enter competitions, you learn a lot from listening to others talk about your work. It's tough at first, but you soon learn that at the end of the day their opinions don't matter but you've learned a lot along the way!
  • Learn the rules of composition and lighting. Once you've mastered them then you'll know when it's OK to break the rules. ;) Breaking the rules is fun when you do it correctly.
  • Sometimes the story a photograph tells is more important than how well it's captured.
Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: TokenGeek
The best thing for beginners is to shoot. Force yourself to take a shot a day at the very least. Then it wont matter about features etc as you it will be come second nature. I shoot Nikon and have gone from their enthusiast range up to their Pro range and can say the pro range is easier to live with in terms of changing settings. Their cheaper cameras aren't as well laid out I have found. Sounds like Canon might be. But you need to hold it in your hand wether its Nikon or Canon or Sony etc. You will know what works for you.

Feb 17, 2020
I was told that Canon cameras are user friendly even for casuals. My first Canon camera was a Canon 60D. It was easy to use and navigate the controls than my Pentax camera that I've been using for 2 years at that time. Even my kid can use a Canon camera and can adjust automatic setting without me even teaching or pointing that out.

Are Canons better than Nikons...
Whenever you ask a question like that, you will most likely get answers from Canon users that say Canons are better and Nikon users will say Nikons are better. I happen to like righty-loosey, lefty-tighty because of a drug addled brain in my youth, but I promise not to be biased. That's because this question is very similar to, "is Jeep better than Subaru" or "is Windows better than Mac" or "is steak better than salad?" Obviously, the answer to all of those questions is YES! But not your question. ;)

Seriously, borrow or rent cameras and try them out for a day or so before you decide for yourself what's right for you. There aren't many really bad cameras these days. Get one you like the ergonomics of and has the features you want and you will get used to its layout of buttons and dials and even not mind if it has to be turned the wrong way to put on or take off a lens.

And don't look at it as a brand that you will have to change when you are no longer a beginner. Buy a decent, but economical camera you like, then when you're ready, upgrade the glass (lenses). When you're ready for a bigger or newer camera body, get the same brand so it will be far more likely that your lenses will fit the new camera too.

ASK THE COMMUNITY