• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

Arperture settings when fauna invade my flora?

Nov 15, 2019
I've gotten good results shooting landscapes at 5.6 and higher aperture, but when I try to capture the surrounding fauna, my photos are often blurry. How far down, if any, should I drop it? Is there something else that could be the cause?

Nov 18, 2019
instagram.com
I've gotten good results shooting landscapes at 5.6 and higher aperture, but when I try to capture the surrounding fauna, my photos are often blurry. How far down, if any, should I drop it? Is there something else that could be the cause?
For wildlife you're looking to get a good fast shutter speed - at least 1/250, ideally 1/500 or 1/1000 depending on the animal in question.

To achieve this, you will generally want to shoot wide open (as small an f-number as you can use), and increase your ISO. The latter will increase noise in the shot, but noise is a heck of a lot easier to correct than motion blur.

An appropriate focus mode is also important and depends on what you're shooting. Birds in trees favour single point AF and sometimes even manual focus, as the foliage will confuse the camera. A larger, moving animal, say, a deer on a hill, will benefit from a continuous focus tracking mode.

ASK THE COMMUNITY