Ask landscape photographer Charlie Waite a question, and win a signed copy of his latest book!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niall Hampton

Staff member
Mar 12, 2020
Hello - I'm Niall, the editor of Digital Camera - the world's favourite photography magazine.

Landscape photography is one of the main areas of interest for our readers, and we're always offering hints, tips and advice for capturing your best-ever landscape shots.

So we've managed to confirm Charlie Waite, one of the world's best exponents of the art, for an interview in an upcoming issue. We've got plenty to chat to him about, but this time, we'd like to get our forum community to ask Charlie the questions – and the person who asks the best question, as judged by Charlie, will win a signed copy of his latest book: Behind the Photograph, which retails for £29/$37.

5DUGUZppXoPuib7AXhJj2U-970-80.jpg

If you're not familiar with the book, then there's a taster here.

Find out more about Charlie and his career here.

So please have a read and think about some questions you'd like Charlie to answer… whether it's about camera settings, advice on choosing locations, composition tips or using filters, Charlie will have some great insights to share from an illustrious career spanning more than three decades.

Share your questions with us, we'll collate them and forward them Charlie, ahead of running the answers in a future issue of Digital Camera.

Thanks in advance, and good luck!

Niall

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 7, 2019
Relaying a few over from social -

Q. Is there a tried and true time of day or window of opportunity to go seeking a daytime landscape shot?

Q. Can you talk about some of the pushback (if any) you've gotten from people on the use of filters?

Q. How much editing do you usually do in post for landscape, as opposed to other genres of photography?

Q. What's your favorite biome to shoot?

Reactions: MHaag

CParsons

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
What are some tips and tricks to landscape shooting that you've learned over the years that you wish you knew from the start?

Nov 24, 2019
I cannot remember the last time that I saw a Landscape photograph that really inspired me, and wanted me to try and emulate. ! When was the last time, for example, did you take a photograph in the upright /portrait format, or even in bad weather ? Do you think Black and White landscape photography "works" ?

Dec 20, 2019
As a landscape photographer, I’ve had this happen to me several times and wanted to see if it’s happened to others.

Have you ever been setting up for a shot, because you know the light is just about to be perfect, and when you get all set, the view is just so breathtaking that you decide not to take a photo and instead just enjoy the view? Sometimes the camera just can’t recreate what you’re looking at. 😁

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020
I’m drawn to landscape photography during storms- especially at night. I’d love some tips on how to achieve the best possible photos in those conditions. Thanks!

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2019
How often does the sky/cloud combinations effect the composition of your shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY