Best bridge camera

Jun 10, 2020
Hi, am looking to buy a new camera, I am UK based with a budget of up to £1000, I have been doing lots of research and am now going around in circles having blinded myself with science so thought I would ask on here and see how that goes! I photograph wildlife, scenery, macro and would love to be able to do astrophotography as am lucky to live in an area with low light pollution, but am starting to think the latter isn't compatible with the first three. I have been looking at the Nikon P1000 which has an amazing zoom but am concerned about the size and weight of it especially when fully zoomed out you probably wouldn't get a great photo due to heat haze etc. However it has a lot of features such as image stabilisation, time lapse movies and 4 k video which appeal to me. I also looked at cameras with interchangeable lenses but the zoom on those doesn't seem that great plus it would mean carrying a lot of kit around.

I would ideally like at least an 80 x optical zoom. If anyone can recommend any cameras they feel would be worth investigating that would be great. I will be buying from a camera shop but we are still on lock down here so that will have to wait and would prefer to go in with some idea of what I want to get before hand. Image quality is important especially allowing for cropping as most images I end up cropping. Even pointers as to what I should be looking for in terms of spec would be welcomed. I currently have a Canon SZ720 HS and did have a Cybershot until recently. I have tried sites where I can tick what I want to see what is available but didn't get very far as again too many different choices.
Thanks in advance for any advice given :)

Jun 10, 2020
And not just that Fuji line, but just about anything DSLR/mirrorless from Canon or Nikon in your price range.
Yes the problem is there are so many to choose from! But the optical zoom is probably one of the most important features for me plus image stabliser and the ability to do macro. The trouble with interchangable lenses is the amount they cost plus having to carry them all around so in a perfect world would like a camera that 'does it all' so to speak but doubt that would be in my price range :) if such a thing exists.

May 30, 2020
The best bridge camera currently would be the Sony RX10 IV but at around £1500 it would be over your budget but you could buy an earlier model the mark III or II. The mark III and IV have a 24-600mm zoom but the mark II only has a 24-200mm zoom but has a constant f2.8 aperture. All the Sony cameras have a 1" sensor which is not as good as the APS-C sensor on a DSLR ...BUT it is much much better than the Nikon P1000 that you are thinking about because that has a tiny 1/23" sensor. Another option is the Panasonic FZ1000 or FZ2000 which are a lot cheaper than the Sony's

Reactions: TravelBug
Jun 10, 2020
The best bridge camera currently would be the Sony RX10 IV but at around £1500 it would be over your budget but you could buy an earlier model the mark III or II. The mark III and IV have a 24-600mm zoom but the mark II only has a 24-200mm zoom but has a constant f2.8 aperture. All the Sony cameras have a 1" sensor which is not as good as the APS-C sensor on a DSLR ...BUT it is much much better than the Nikon P1000 that you are thinking about because that has a tiny 1/23" sensor. Another option is the Panasonic FZ1000 or FZ2000 which are a lot cheaper than the Sony's
Thank you, I hadn't realised about the size of the sensor. I will go and do some research on the cameras you mention, it is such a lot of money to spend and a once in a lifetime thing for me most likely so want to be sure I make the right choice, have been saving hard for this!

ASK THE COMMUNITY