Best lenses for photographing New York

Matt Greenwood

Staff member
Nov 19, 2019
I've been planning a trip over to the Big Apple for a while, but recently ditched my Sony kit as I don't need to do as much pro work this year. That leaves me with the still excellent Fuji X-Pro2 and the 35 f2, but if I'm going all the way over to the US I definitely want to make the most of it - so the question is, which of the other Fuji lenses would best serve me in the big city?

I'll be shooting street, environmental portraits and many of the iconic buildings - so I'm leaning towards the wider end of the scale. I'm not a big fan of the Fuji zooms, so primes is where I'm focussed at the moment. Is the 23 1.4 to close to my 35 f2 to be worth the expense? Am I better off going wider with the 16 1.4 and challenging myself to get closer with my street work?

Keen to hear from others about their experiences in New York (and other big cities of course) and what they ended up taking!

Nov 19, 2019
I was in New York last summer with my Nikon D750 (so full frame, unlike you). I packed my 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200, but the 70-200 became too heavy to lug around everywhere. So everything I did was between 14 and 70 mm. If you're using primes, I suggest you take ones that cover that equivalent focal length on APS-C.

Matt Greenwood

Staff member
Nov 19, 2019
Yeah I think a decent telephoto (50-140 or 100-400) would be great for when I'm up at the top of the viewing points but I'm only planning on being there a short while so can't really justify the expense or weight!

I'll definitely miss the full frame and lightning-quick AF of the Sony A7iii, but I'm not planning on making large prints from any of the photos so I can pump that ISO on the X-Pro2 without too much worry.

Nov 19, 2019
Yeah I think a decent telephoto (50-140 or 100-400) would be great for when I'm up at the top of the viewing points but I'm only planning on being there a short while so can't really justify the expense or weight!

I'll definitely miss the full frame and lightning-quick AF of the Sony A7iii, but I'm not planning on making large prints from any of the photos so I can pump that ISO on the X-Pro2 without too much worry.
FWIW, here are some of my shots. You can see the EXIF data. https://www.flickr.com/photos/davefaulkner/albums/72157710178663051

Dec 16, 2019
I would think the 35mm would be a great one for street photography. For most street you want something that sees as your eye does. Now, there are lot of other things in NY to photograph that you would want something else. You may want something wider for shots of the top of the Empire State building, for example. However, you could do a panorama and make up for it and use the 35mm. I am not sure on the rules for tripods, I suspect they are not allowed, but you probably could do a hand held panorama.

ASK THE COMMUNITY