Black and white

Jan 17, 2020
Do you prefer shooting black and white over any other styles? My friend who shoots only black and white (she does portraits) recently said that this kind of photography captures the emotions better while photos in color have more of a moment itself. To me it seems like she has a point. What do you think?

Jan 16, 2020
Tbh, I have never liked black and white pictures, in most cases they looked beyond dramatiс to me. I remember when I was younger I had to make a colorful photo black and white to send it to the school photo contest. I've read an an explanation on how to do this and surprisingly the result was quite fine.

I can't say I like b/w now but sometimes I do it because it is good for the details, they become more visible.

Reactions: KateLisssa
Feb 17, 2020
This might sound weird but looking at Black and White photos give me this visual stimulation that kinda tickles my mind; the same feeling as when I'm reading a really good book. Black and White photos, for me, conveys something that is beyond the captured moment and it lets me think. I'm not saying that Black and White is my favorite but I'm just saying its appeal to me.

Reactions: KateLisssa
I wouldn't want to be put in a box like that. I hunt for photo opportunities as often as I can. Some days I go looking for B&W shots, sometimes color, but often enough I make the decision when I am at my computer looking through my captures. Most of my photos (by far) are color, but I have some B&Ws that just wouldn't do well as a color photo.

Conversely, a visitor to my website contacted me to ask if any of the color photos could be made B&W. She gave me a list and I told her I would try. I re-edited the photos she asked about and some she hadn't and offered them up for her appraisal. She ordered 24 of my photos for her office. I thought some of them worked better as color photos, but because of her request, I realized it's not so cut and dried. But I was glad that about a third of the photos were already B&W, so the workload wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Jan 17, 2020
Yeah, I agree with you
I wouldn't want to be put in a box like that. I hunt for photo opportunities as often as I can. Some days I go looking for B&W shots, sometimes color, but often enough I make the decision when I am at my computer looking through my captures. Most of my photos (by far) are color, but I have some B&Ws that just wouldn't do well as a color photo.

Conversely, a visitor to my website contacted me to ask if any of the color photos could be made B&W. She gave me a list and I told her I would try. I re-edited the photos she asked about and some she hadn't and offered them up for her appraisal. She ordered 24 of my photos for her office. I thought some of them worked better as color photos, but because of her request, I realized it's not so cut and dried. But I was glad that about a third of the photos were already B&W, so the workload wasn't as bad as it could have been.
Hunting for opportunities is important and some photos really do look much better in b/w than in color. Guess this is all about personal preferences.

Nov 20, 2019
It all comes down to personal preference hence why I offer both, though some clearly work better in either one.

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2019
Is it weird that my friend thinks turning all shots black and white makes things 'insta arty'? I think it feels like it brings out textures more?

Is it weird that my friend thinks turning all shots black and white makes things 'insta arty'? I think it feels like it brings out textures more?
I don't think it's a matter of turning them B&W. It's not just a flip of the switch in the photo editor. You still have to manipulate the color values to bring out the subtle variances in black, white and grays. The level of contrast is usually not the same either. In my opinion, a B&W photo is a whole different animal than the same photo in color.

Nov 23, 2019
I grew up with B&W. Learned to see in B&W. Colour added new dimensions BUT took away others.
I use both, mostly colour because it leaves me with all the data to work with.. (I'm one of those who feels a work of expression is never done. There are always nuances to be considered)
If you are looking for the most realistic reproduction for scientific or commercial reasons, then colour is almost required.
From an artistic point of view and memories and emotions, what ever fits the bill...
You don't hear of artists discussing the merits or "realism" of brushes and media, they just do what they feel! (OK I'm certain, there are those who do)
Sorry about Colour vs. color, again just upbringing!

Jan 16, 2020
I grew up with B&W. Learned to see in B&W. Colour added new dimensions BUT took away others.
I use both, mostly colour because it leaves me with all the data to work with.. (I'm one of those who feels a work of expression is never done. There are always nuances to be considered)
If you are looking for the most realistic reproduction for scientific or commercial reasons, then colour is almost required.
From an artistic point of view and memories and emotions, what ever fits the bill...
You don't hear of artists discussing the merits or "realism" of brushes and media, they just do what they feel! (OK I'm certain, there are those who do)
Sorry about Colour vs. color, again just upbringing!
Yeah, color gives more chances to play with the photo. to change it in a certain way, etc. And I agree that it is a matter of choice and taste, I just wondered what are the tastes over here :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY