How To 

Calling all photo mag readers - what free gifts do you want?

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 11.51.32.png

What subscription gifts do you want to see?

We love our readers - both new and returning - on Digital Photographer magazine, and try to make sure we offer you exactly what you want with each new issue!

If you subscribe to the magazine, you get great offers on regular copies, but you also get free gifts and goodies too!

Next year we're looking offer subscribers extra exciting gifts – but we haven't worked out what those are yet. What would be genuinely useful and cool for you? Camera bags, filters, tips guides, free tickets to the Photography Show, a fluffy pink unicorn?

Let us know! Your reader feedback is always read, digested, enjoyed and considered.

Reactions: g_marinakis
Nov 19, 2019
okay so ...comments from Canada ... not sure if id get any of it because of being international but 90% of us i think have bags, so thats out, filters would be hard as there are so many types / sizes ...

but there are a lot of SMALLER things that would be awesome gifts
  • sd card cases
  • spirit bubbles (aka hotshoe levels)
  • maintenance gear (sensor swabs, lense cleaners etc,)
  • maybe camera strap style accessories, ie the quick release belt clips (wish has them for pennies and they are handy)
In my case as a newbie i would like to mention i love that you include the disks i dont use photoshop/adobe but i do appreciate videos it gives me ideas for other things. I would love to see perhaps a intro to flash usage issue and maybe some reviews of more "entry/mid range" kit to get started on and then maybe put the winner (best reviewed) to some basic portrait settings. IM still leaning about using my flash.

Love your magazine now been an avid reader for 2 years !!!
PS: thank you for including alternatives to adobe with your magazine sometimes i cant afford it right now and for the time being .. i want to learn to use my camera :)

Reactions: Jim McClain
Dec 12, 2019
I am unable to download any Digital Photographer videos as the FileSilo site has been slow and now broken for months? I think the last 3-4 magazines are not even present? This has prevented me subscribing.

Anyway, free gifts - Bags - preferable large and absolutely must have raincovers - I live in UK and it rains a lot!

Dec 12, 2019
I have a digital subscription to Digital Camera World but unable to download the freebies
I have no problem downloading these and have done so for the latest issue and all those before. That being said, I have found the magazine arriving BEFORE the disk contents is available on the web link yet. A wait of a few days and it is usually there. I am not sure who or what is the problem , perhaps a staff member of DCW can explain and maybe even initiate a fix?

Dec 12, 2019
View attachment 48

We love our readers - both new and returning - on Digital Photographer magazine, and try to make sure we offer you exactly what you want with each new issue!

If you subscribe to the magazine, you get great offers on regular copies, but you also get free gifts and goodies too!

Next year we're looking offer subscribers extra exciting gifts – but we haven't worked out what those are yet. What would be genuinely useful and cool for you? Camera bags, filters, tips guides, free tickets to the Photography Show, a fluffy pink unicorn?

Let us know! Your reader feedback is always read, digested, enjoyed and considered.
Lauren,
May I first say as a regular photographic magazine subscriber, often as many as 5 different magazines at one time and for over 40 years, I am well placed to comment on this.

Some of the things that has prevented my subscribing in the last few years have indeed been a gift that I cannot use (I have 9 tripods at least about 10 bags or more!) but often the opposite is the case. I might take out a subscription to get a particular bag or tripod/monopod? The biggest block is the meteoric rise in cost of printed magazines. At first I believed the sudden unexplained price rises to be an executive decision to force print subscribers to change to digital versions (which will never happen in my case and I was a Senior IT person for many years!) but relentless price rises have now caused me to drop to only one real subscription to a printed mag and I hear that is subject to closure following a merger (at the moment a Monopolies Commision case) of two major publishers! One magazine went from £36 a year early 2019 to £60 ! Even at that price a really good free gift would lead to a subscription but might only be a year.

Another factor is the 'sameness' of magazines. I always looked forward to technical and measurement comparisons of like for like lenses as these informed my purchase decisions . However I now find such an article is syndicated so I pay more than once for the same article in as many as 3 magazines! I then find it also touted on the internet for free! Worse than all this is the overt biased words accompanying the article that actually ignores the technical measurements! Bias, brand favouritism and fashion have no place at all in such articles!

Finally I come to your posed question regarding magazine free gifts. I think a decent brand agnostic photographic book (or even better a choice) might be an easily negotiated free gift? And this option might prove to be cheaper than most bags and tripods?

I would like to see a free mini/macro tripod as a free gift?

Also, we seem to have (naturally due to cost) seem to have had a plethora of small or messenger/man-bags as free gifts where as I need to fit a large and heavy Nikon D850 and a few lenses in my bag so none are suitable. I cared less about this in the past wen subscriptions were reasonable but the price rise makes one consider the deal more closely.

A pair of decent gloves suitable for photographers with perhaps a choice of sizes might make a good gift and cheap to post out? Hats also.

Rain-covers to fit telephotos perhaps

Small high quality Arca-swiss compatible fit ball head?

I have seen mini continuous studio led lights sets for not too much? many would jump at that.

I hope this response is of some use

cheers
Ian

Dec 12, 2019
may I ask did you have to go to the www.bit.ly/dc225disc ??
Yes, and I have just clicked on the link you have pasted and the download starts immediately. Perhaps you are not realising that ? It may already have downloaded to your default download directory?

Do not leave the linked page until the download has completed. The download is a mountable .ISO disc image so not small.

Try installing a second browser and use that. It is wise to do so as it provides some contingency.

cheers
Ian

Not a subscriber because I've never seen the magazine on my local grocery store's shelves. I always buy a couple of issues of mags I might be interested in before I subscribe. Problem is, the population of Quincy, CA is only about 5000, so there's plenty of hunting, sports, auto and home/pet/body improvement offerings, but no photography. :(

But if I did think about subscribing, I'd be more interested in discount coupons to some of the better known photo equipment retailers. Let me pick my own gear because the gear you can afford to offer as enticements is not the quality or the selection of gear I am interested in. With a discount code, I can pick anything I want. And your advertisers would love the opportunity. ;)

Reactions: LaurenScott

LaurenScott

Staff member
Nov 18, 2019
Hi Jim
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply here - it's so appreciated!

We do actually ship single issues of the magazine(s) online - with shipping included in the cost.

I agree with you about the free gear. Personally I prefer to choose my own, to fit my needs and specific camera gear, so discounts would be very useful.

I'll pass on all of these comments.

Not a subscriber because I've never seen the magazine on my local grocery store's shelves. I always buy a couple of issues of mags I might be interested in before I subscribe. Problem is, the population of Quincy, CA is only about 5000, so there's plenty of hunting, sports, auto and home/pet/body improvement offerings, but no photography. :(

But if I did think about subscribing, I'd be more interested in discount coupons to some of the better known photo equipment retailers. Let me pick my own gear because the gear you can afford to offer as enticements is not the quality or the selection of gear I am interested in. With a discount code, I can pick anything I want. And your advertisers would love the opportunity. ;)

Reactions: Jim McClain

LaurenScott

Staff member
Nov 18, 2019
Thanks for your reply Ian.

I'll certainly pass these on those with the decision powers.

Unlike some magazines Digital Photographer doesn't share its reviews or content with other publications, and content appears in the magazine before the website in 99% of cases.

Great ideas for the free gifts!

Lauren,
May I first say as a regular photographic magazine subscriber, often as many as 5 different magazines at one time and for over 40 years, I am well placed to comment on this.

Some of the things that has prevented my subscribing in the last few years have indeed been a gift that I cannot use (I have 9 tripods at least about 10 bags or more!) but often the opposite is the case. I might take out a subscription to get a particular bag or tripod/monopod? The biggest block is the meteoric rise in cost of printed magazines. At first I believed the sudden unexplained price rises to be an executive decision to force print subscribers to change to digital versions (which will never happen in my case and I was a Senior IT person for many years!) but relentless price rises have now caused me to drop to only one real subscription to a printed mag and I hear that is subject to closure following a merger (at the moment a Monopolies Commision case) of two major publishers! One magazine went from £36 a year early 2019 to £60 ! Even at that price a really good free gift would lead to a subscription but might only be a year.

Another factor is the 'sameness' of magazines. I always looked forward to technical and measurement comparisons of like for like lenses as these informed my purchase decisions . However I now find such an article is syndicated so I pay more than once for the same article in as many as 3 magazines! I then find it also touted on the internet for free! Worse than all this is the overt biased words accompanying the article that actually ignores the technical measurements! Bias, brand favouritism and fashion have no place at all in such articles!

Finally I come to your posed question regarding magazine free gifts. I think a decent brand agnostic photographic book (or even better a choice) might be an easily negotiated free gift? And this option might prove to be cheaper than most bags and tripods?

I would like to see a free mini/macro tripod as a free gift?

Also, we seem to have (naturally due to cost) seem to have had a plethora of small or messenger/man-bags as free gifts where as I need to fit a large and heavy Nikon D850 and a few lenses in my bag so none are suitable. I cared less about this in the past wen subscriptions were reasonable but the price rise makes one consider the deal more closely.

A pair of decent gloves suitable for photographers with perhaps a choice of sizes might make a good gift and cheap to post out? Hats also.

Rain-covers to fit telephotos perhaps

Small high quality Arca-swiss compatible fit ball head?

I have seen mini continuous studio led lights sets for not too much? many would jump at that.

I hope this response is of some use

cheers
Ian

LaurenScott

Staff member
Nov 18, 2019
I am unable to download any Digital Photographer videos as the FileSilo site has been slow and now broken for months? I think the last 3-4 magazines are not even present? This has prevented me subscribing.

Anyway, free gifts - Bags - preferable large and absolutely must have raincovers - I live in UK and it rains a lot!
Thanks so much for this feedback! Unfortunately FileSilo used a very outdated content system that we could no longer keep updating, but we are working to come up with alternatives in the meantime.

LaurenScott

Staff member
Nov 18, 2019
okay so ...comments from Canada ... not sure if id get any of it because of being international but 90% of us i think have bags, so thats out, filters would be hard as there are so many types / sizes ...

• sd card cases
  • maybe camera strap style accessories, ie the quick release belt clips (wish has them for pennies and they are handy)
In my case as a newbie i would like to mention i love that you include the disks i dont use photoshop/adobe but i do appreciate videos it gives me ideas for other things. I would love to see perhaps a intro to flash usage issue and maybe some reviews of more "entry/mid range" kit to get started on and then maybe put the winner (best reviewed) to some basic portrait settings. IM still leaning about using my flash.

PS: thank you for including alternatives to adobe with your magazine sometimes i cant afford it right now and for the time being .. i want to learn to use my camera :)
Thanks so much for replying here! Glad you're enjoying the magazine, and we'll certainly take all of this feedback on board.

Dec 16, 2019
Just a note for everyone around the world, in the UK they get things, not just the disc and tips cards. I was in the UK last summer and bought an issue that had a bulb blower in the bag with the magazine. We do not get those sorts of things in Canada, and I assume, the US.

Do subscribers around the world get those types of gifts? I have never subscribed because it is actually cheaper to buy it monthly than it is to subscribe. I would get billed in US dollars which converted to Canadian is not favourable. Even with tax on top, the magazine is cheaper to buy on the newsstand.

Mar 2, 2020
I see the free gifts as a bonus rather than a driver for buying the magazine. As to the gift itself, sometimes is useful to me, sometimes not. For those that are not, i give them away to other photographers, usually youngsters.

Reactions: donoreo
Dec 16, 2019
I forgot, I did subscribe to another magazine with the initials PP because it was much cheaper to subscribe and at the time they had a 5in1 reflector for sign up, world wide, not just for UK subscribers.

May 26, 2020
View attachment 48

I have been a subscriber of DCM for many year and believe old subs should get a choice of a decent gift from time to time, I do understand the need to be offering a decent gift to catch new subs but old subs get forgotten and or given a few tip cards each month that now are just getting in the way and very really I use them and I know there are many readers that feel the same it is almost worth canceling subs for a few months to see what gift are going then subscribing again to get the gift DCM stand to loose a lot of revenue if subs were to cancel for a few months at a time waiting for a gift worth having.

May 26, 2020
View attachment 48

Nice to see you are taking my email seriously however the main thing at the moment I would like is
1. the links printed in mag work without the pain of having to write in to complain 3 weeks I waited for the link to the ebooks in issue 229 not good no good for reading during lock down if you can't get them.

2. When you offer Free software make sure it is the free complete software not just a trial. 3. As for free gifts something we can all use I believe the last thing I had was a lens brush worth about 50p and that any Photographer whom respects there gear would not put near there lenses ( I use mine to brush out the air vents in car)

3. Lastly yes the tip cards were not a bad idea however we have been getting them for a while now outgrown being useful best idea would be to leave them on disc if were to have them then the customer can decide the ones that will be of use to each subscriber keeping in mind there are lots of different photographers out there.

Keep Safe

May 26, 2020

• sd card cases

Totally agree with most of your idea's memory cards are always a good idea belt clips a great idea, I only have one hand so anything that can attach to my person spot on

ASK THE COMMUNITY