Cannot find details on posting photos

Dec 16, 2019
I have looked at the posting rules, but I do not see which is the preferred method (uploads or links to elsewhere such as Flickr). I also did not see a file size restriction. I assume these are in place but cannot find them.

Reactions: jsimenhoff

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2019
You should be able to upload to imgur to ad photos via the widget, if not @j.simonhoff should be able to help :)

Dec 16, 2019
You should be able to upload to imgur to ad photos via the widget, if not @j.simonhoff should be able to help :)
Is there no limit on size, even from linked sites? Most online photography forums have instructions for posting images and I did not find any.

I've uploaded a couple of my photos via the upload feature of the forum. I hope that's okay. Forums I participate on have an awful lot of broken image icons because the user either removes old photos to make room for new so they don't go over the limit for free space, or the provider, like IMGUR, Photobucket, et al, limits their users to some arbitrary bandwidth or changes their terms of service to what they offer for free. On my own forum (flooring related), I prefer my members use the upload feature to avoid those problems. Server space is pretty cheap, so it hasn't been a problem in the 13 years I've been doing that.

Dec 16, 2019
I've uploaded a couple of my photos via the upload feature of the forum. I hope that's okay. Forums I participate on have an awful lot of broken image icons because the user either removes old photos to make room for new so they don't go over the limit for free space, or the provider, like IMGUR, Photobucket, et al, limits their users to some arbitrary bandwidth or changes their terms of service to what they offer for free. On my own forum (flooring related), I prefer my members use the upload feature to avoid those problems. Server space is pretty cheap, so it hasn't been a problem in the 13 years I've been doing that.
That is a good reason to only upload, and usually there are size restrictions like 1024px on the long side and 250kb for example.

That is a good reason to only upload, and usually there are size restrictions like 1024px on the long side and 250kb for example.
Dimensions and file size are administrative options. Sites I participate on that limit the sizes of uploads unreasonably (1024px long side is small for landscape orientation, but not bad for portrait orientation), I use the [IMG] [/IMG] BBCode to serve photos from my own website. Most people don't have their own sites, so they have to use image hosting. But administration can also limit the dimensions of any photo displayed in a post, no matter where it's hosted. We are at the site owner's mercy, but I suspect a photo site owner could be more merciful than say a computer site owner. Fingers crossed. :)

jsimenhoff

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2019
I recommend using an image upload site like imgur and then embedding that photo with the image attachment tool. We have a maximum attachment size of 6mb. We wanted our users to upload at a maximum of 4K resolution but wanted to give you all a little wiggle room as well. In addition to imgur, you can also directly attach your images here (shown in the example below). To do so, just drag and drop your jpg or png file into the image attachment tool found in the tool bar:

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 9.49.12 AM.png

wolf-3840x2160-grey-4k-19451.jpg

Attachments

jsimenhoff

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2019
Thank you . That is large. I dislike when forums require users to use a hosted photo somewhere else. Those hosted photos get taken down all the time and there are a bunch of broken links.
FWIW, imgur doesn't seem to take down old photos, at least not in my own experience. We don't allow image uploads on all of our forums, actually only this one if I'm not mistaken. We primarily ask users to use imgur and many threads that are many years old still have the unbroken images up there.

We realized for a photo-focused forum this was not tenable. We nixed RAW support since the file size is ginormously big. We hope you enjoy our image upload policy! It's custom geared towards making it easy to share high quality, high-resolution images.

Thank you . That is large. I dislike when forums require users to use a hosted photo somewhere else. Those hosted photos get taken down all the time and there are a bunch of broken links.
I agree. Photo hosting sites have limited space to offer their "free" users, so it's sometimes the user who takes down an old photo to make room for their new ones. Often enough though, the image host will have a change of policy. Photobucket is the most recent. They caused broken links on many forums I visited and even replaced the photo with an advertisement for their hosting services.

ASK THE COMMUNITY