• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

Canon users, what is your favourite Canon lens and why?

For me, the 135mm f2L. I find it crazy how long this lens has been produced, and have loved it ever since I finally got my hands on one. Doesn't take up much room but can do things few lenses can do. One highlight was taking headshots in an office using a single strobe (with HSS) and shooting at F2. Watching the backgrounds just blur away still gives me a little rush, it just delivers consistently every time.

Reactions: TammyLynn
Nov 15, 2019
Hey bud, nice to see you on the forum!

For me, it truly depends on what I want to shoot. My favourite lenses have always been the L Primes, but if I had to choose one it would be the 85mm F/1.2 L.

Was truly a great lens for portraiture, but very slow to focus so unusable for the snowboarding photography.

If I had to choose the most versatile lens I used it would be a kick-ass battle between the 70-200 II F/2.8 IS L or the 100-400 F/4.5-5.6 L!

Nov 18, 2019
www.instagram.com
They are all my favourite! :love:

My absolute favourite at the moment is my 85mm f1/2L lens. I try to use it for everything.

My go-to lenses for work (aka my workhorse lenses) are my 24-70 f2.8L and 70-200 f2.8L lenses. I keep sneaking the 85 in there though ;)

My favourite walk-around lens is my 50mm f1.4. Mainly because it's small and lightweight.

My favourite lens for walking the dog along the river or in the woods is my 400mm f5.6L. Mainly for shooting birds and squirrels.

Did I mention they were all my favourite?

Artaius

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
www.digitalcameraworld.com
My favourite Canon lens is the new RF 85mm f/1.2L – I just loooooove that glass, though it's hilariously heavy and expensive. Shoots the prettiest portraits you can imagine and it's sharp enough to slice your fingers.

I also have a soft spot for the old Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens, because I'm a sucker for quirky optics that do things differently – and it's also a pretty good 135mm lens when you turn off the smudgy focus effect.

Nov 22, 2019
Tough call! I have a few L-series EF lenses but I find my Sigma 105 macro seems to get a lot of work. I like macro but I also find it useful for portraits and the f/2.8 gives pleasant bokeh. I usually attach the Canon 100-400 L when roaming outdooors and the 24-105 f/4 has been a favourite, especially indoors. The nifty-fifty f/1.4 is always in the bag too.

Reactions: loki and James.L
Nov 24, 2019
For macro, which is my main interest, the 100mm f/2.8L is just superb. I like the working space it provides for insect photography. Great for portraits, too. In fact, the quality from this lens is very impressive at many focal distances.

Nov 19, 2019
OK, as I said in my intro, I am an old bloke back into photography. I purchased a EOS 80D a couple of years ago an was disappointed by the quality of the 18-55 kit lens after using mainly primes in the 70's

I had a look round and bought a Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8. It is such a beautiful lens, only problem is the weight. Then to get something a bit wider, I chose the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 (never mind the length, feel the width :) ) Just love them both.

Ken

Nov 19, 2019
Interesting, the article I read recently about the demise of the nifty fifty. If you are using an APS-C camera like moi, my EF 50mm f1.8 Canon lens makes a nice portrait lens as it is the equivalent of a full frame 80mm. Back in my film days a 75mm or a 100mm prime were good focal lengths and a wide aperture gives good bokeh. (Bokeh, now there is a new word since I have been away from photography :))

Reactions: loki

ASK THE COMMUNITY