• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

Color or monochrome?

Nov 15, 2019
Which do you think is best for learning the ins and outs of portraiture, color or monochrome?
I like some of my images better in color, but it seems when I process them, most of them just look more interesting and dramatic in black and white. Thoughts?

rlawton

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
Black and white is very good for understanding light, shade, shapes and contrast because color is often a competing distraction.

Reactions: TammyLynn

Artaius

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
www.digitalcameraworld.com
For learning the craft and mechanics of portraiture, I think black-and-white is a much more helpful learning aid. As @rlawton says, it will enable you to better grasp fundamentals like composition, contrast, shape, shadow, texture and form without the distraction of colour rabbiting away in your ear.

I'm also firmly of the opinion that if you intend to produce a black and white image, you should shoot it in black and white – not shoot colour and convert it afterwards. You simply see things like contrast and tonality in completely different ways when you compose in mono – you can ape these aspects after the fact if you convert a colour image well, but you will always achieve the best end results if you set out to shoot your end result in the first place.

For learning the craft and mechanics of portraiture, I think black-and-white is a much more helpful learning aid. As @rlawton says, it will enable you to better grasp fundamentals like composition, contrast, shape, shadow, texture and form without the distraction of colour rabbiting away in your ear.

I'm also firmly of the opinion that if you intend to produce a black and white image, you should shoot it in black and white – not shoot colour and convert it afterwards. You simply see things like contrast and tonality in completely different ways when you compose in mono – you can ape these aspects after the fact if you convert a colour image well, but you will always achieve the best end results if you set out to shoot your end result in the first place.
Now that is something I have never tried. Im always one for seeing an image in Lightroom and converting then. Some images just scream to be converted I find. But I have never though of black and white while shooting. Something I shall take on board. Thank you.

Reactions: Artaius

Artaius

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
www.digitalcameraworld.com
Always glad when I say something useful for a change! :)

I'm not completely against mono conversions, and I've certainly seen many fantastic black-and-white images that started lie as colour shots. But the mindset and the act of setting out to shoot in mono – especially if shooting mirrorless or through live view, where you're actually previewing and envisioning your shots in black and white – almost always produces more effective results. At the very least, it's a great exercise to master the core stuff!

And of course, as @Idene notes, if you shoot JPG+RAW then you always have the colour version that you can revisit later.

Now that is something I have never tried. Im always one for seeing an image in Lightroom and converting then. Some images just scream to be converted I find. But I have never though of black and white while shooting. Something I shall take on board. Thank you.

Nov 18, 2019
www.instagram.com
Agree, shooting in B/W is easier to see what the light is doing without the distractions of the colours. I will also shoot in B/W so that I can see the results and make any adjustments at the time of the shoot.

ASK THE COMMUNITY