Concert photography improvement

Jan 16, 2020
So here is a photo I took at Bring Me the Horizon concert almost a year ago but now I find it and wonder what could be done to make it look better? Doesn't it look a little bit overexposed?
Any advice would be appreciated greatly!

OMuP0K664Bw.jpg

Reactions: sward

Matt Greenwood

Staff member
Nov 19, 2019
Personally (and I know a lot of people likely disagree, and that it's completely subjective!) I generally like my horizons to be level in my photos, I think it can sometimes look as if people are falling out of the frame when it's at an angle. Generally I can tell if my images aren't level if people tilt their heads to look at them, which is what I did with this shot. As I said though, it's completely subjective, and with the one-foot pose a slight dutch angle could work well here to balance the image.

Another quick note is that while I love the pose, you've clearly captured a key moment in the performance, it feels a little bit like the arm and leg are on their way down from a movement rather than hitting the peak. Often referred to as the 'decisive moment', getting a shot as a person's action is just hitting it's peak can lend more power and impact to an image. I think it works best if you can get the moment just before the action finishes and it starts to return to it's previous position.

Jan 16, 2020
Personally (and I know a lot of people likely disagree, and that it's completely subjective!) I generally like my horizons to be level in my photos, I think it can sometimes look as if people are falling out of the frame when it's at an angle. Generally I can tell if my images aren't level if people tilt their heads to look at them, which is what I did with this shot. As I said though, it's completely subjective, and with the one-foot pose a slight dutch angle could work well here to balance the image.

Another quick note is that while I love the pose, you've clearly captured a key moment in the performance, it feels a little bit like the arm and leg are on their way down from a movement rather than hitting the peak. Often referred to as the 'decisive moment', getting a shot as a person's action is just hitting it's peak can lend more power and impact to an image. I think it works best if you can get the moment just before the action finishes and it starts to return to it's previous position.
Oh, thank you! I was thinking about leveling as well but wasn't sure whether it is necessary. I agree with you about the movements of this arm and leg, but it's rather hard to catch the moment when the person is dancing, haha :) I'm trying to do it though!

Jan 17, 2020
BMTH!! I love them so much!
The photo looks good to me but I'd darken it a little bit, right now the highlights look way too bright. Here is what I got after making a light color correction in Photoworks. You may not like it though. as it was wisely said above, the whole thing is very subjective! But I like the angles your photo has.

xw6DsP7p.png

Jan 16, 2020
BMTH!! I love them so much!
The photo looks good to me but I'd darken it a little bit, right now the highlights look way too bright. Here is what I got after making a light color correction in Photoworks. You may not like it though. as it was wisely said above, the whole thing is very subjective! But I like the angles your photo has.

View attachment 107
Hmm, I like the way it looks now. I didn't think about darkening but now I see it changes the whole image greatly.

ASK THE COMMUNITY