News DSLR vs mirrorless cameras in 2020: which type is best? We help you choose

Apr 20, 2020
As far as I'm concerned the single biggest reason to prefer mirrorless over DSLRs is the lenses. I'm admittedly only familiar with the Nikon side of the fence, but the Z mount lenses are far and away better than the equivalent F mount lenses in every respect. I imagine it's similar with other systems, due to the reduced flange distances involved.

The common wisdom among photographers is that lenses matter more than bodies, and the lenses are unquestionably significantly better on the mirrorless side of things... and you didn't even see fit to mention this huge advantage, let alone give it proper weight.

Feb 28, 2020
Mirrorless is too expensive for those on a tight budget and there's no real gain in quality over DSLR. Traditionalists still prefer an optical viewfinder so DSLR will still be around for a lot longer than most people think.

Nov 19, 2019
ive only handled a few of the mirrorless and truthfully they are nice but the ergonomic design drives me up the wall . i find them so small they remind me of my old point n click and they arent that comfortable to hold for long times. Only one ive held though lately is a sony wasnt my cup of tea. i shoot with a D3400 and a D7500

Gam3r01

Apr 1, 2020
ive only handled a few of the mirrorless and truthfully they are nice but the ergonomic design drives me up the wall . i find them so small they remind me of my old point n click and they arent that comfortable to hold for long times. Only one ive held though lately is a sony wasnt my cup of tea. i shoot with a D3400 and a D7500
Id suggest giving some of the newer models a feel, specifically Canon's offerings, they really do have some nice ergonomics if you like the Canon feel.
Sony's are known to be on the small side too.

Aug 20, 2020
You wrote: "The DSLR vs mirrorless decision is a tricky one to make "

Not if know why you are making photographs, what you are photographing, and the conditions under which you are making them!!

Sep 28, 2020
Mirrorless is too expensive for those on a tight budget and there's no real gain in quality over DSLR. Traditionalists still prefer an optical viewfinder so DSLR will still be around for a lot longer than most people think.
Which mirrorless are you talking about? Sony A6000 is u$s 499 new, and is a very good camera like FujiFilm X-T200

Sep 28, 2020
You should try Fujifilm X-T3/T4 and you could also add a grip for them but the size and look and feel is like an old analog Olympus OM-1

Feb 28, 2020
Which mirrorless are you talking about? Sony A6000 is u$s 499 new, and is a very good camera like FujiFilm X-T200
For that sort of money I could pick up a used Pentax K5 and a full compliment of used 35 mm lemses in manual or autofocus or a used K3 and at least one lens. Pentax used 35-80mm kit lens for under £10. Sigma 70-200mm for around £50-70. Pentax 50mm manual lenses from £10 with many other old 35mm kit lenses available for under £50. M42 Takumar series lenses are also available with a cheap M42 adaptor along with a vast range of vintage lenses. The vast array of manual and autofocus lenses available for Pentax is hard to beat and the 1.7x teleconverter even allows the option of autofocus with some manual lenses.

Nov 25, 2019
You ask which is best? - that's easy - the ones that I have. In my case they are DSLRs - because when I chose them the current range of mirrorless did not exist. And because the range of lenses available for the current range of mirrorless is inadequate for my purposes, while using those lenses on one of the current mirrorless cams requires a compromise - an adapter - and produces no gain or benefit over using in my present cams.
And because even if the range of lenses now being released ever did cover the full range of lenses that I use, I could no longer expect to find the funds that I'd need, to buy them all. And because I have over 6000 pages of texts on my current cams - and it is ridiculous to think I can chop & change every few months, when doing so means ploughing through another thick slab of technical stuff to get on top of all the functions etc.

I do appreciate what the various companies are seeking to do. And no doubt it is a good idea. But it has arrived on the market too late for me to have any meaningful opportunity to take advantage of whatever improvements this gear introduces. I've spent the funds already on DSLR gear, I'm still learning what I need to know to exploit it fully, and at my age I couldn't expect to go through all of this ever again.

But I don't need to. There's nothing 'wrong' with what I have. The fact that the new Nikon 70-200 is marginally sharper than mine isn't critical - of course I'd choose the newer one if the choice was that simple, but it isn't - and that on its own would scarcely be a sufficient reason for the change anyway. But which of the new lenses beats my Otus 55mm? How far into the future are new tilt/shifts? What macro lenses are suitable?

As I see it, "what's best" for me is simple - it's what I've got. A D500, a D850, and all the gear I need for both.

ASK THE COMMUNITY