DSLR vs mirrorless: which do you prefer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Digital Camera World community: the world's fastest-growing photography website, covering every aspect of image-making, from DSLR and mirrorless cameras to mobile photography, drones, post-production and printing.
Dec 17, 2019
I had a bunch of Nikon stuff (bodies, lenses, flash, etc) and found I wasn't using my D700 w/grip or my D7200 w/grip very much. What was being used was my Samsung S9+ phone or my point & shoot Nikon AW120. I sold all the Nikon DSLR's and bought a Sony a6300 & a7II. I also have a Panasonic ZS100 point & Shoot. Long story made short I prefer mirrorless over DSLR for the weight savings.

Nov 19, 2019
Also you can always lock your mirror up (especially if on a tripod) and shoot avoiding mirror slap and get super sharp images. The extra weight of (some) DSLRs can also help stabilization. However the large lens throat of (say) the Nikon Z series is allowing lens designers to produce some stunning lenses ......... tempting
im not super knowledgeable in optics but is this the reason i keep hearing / seeing about lenses with super low apertures like 0.95 ? is it the "lens throat" that you mentioned that allows this ? im also curious if because of the same size you mentioned if mirrorless would be better for low light ?

Dec 12, 2019
im not super knowledgeable in optics but is this the reason i keep hearing / seeing about lenses with super low apertures like 0.95 ? is it the "lens throat" that you mentioned that allows this ? im also curious if because of the same size you mentioned if mirrorless would be better for low light ?
Hello Canadian One,
I also am not that knowledgeable about optical design but am certain that I read somewhere that the size of the lens throat (on Nikon Z series for example) and distance from the sensor allow optical designers more freedom (or less constraints if you look at the other side of the coin). hence superior as well as faster lenses. I am dubious about the practical value of really fast lenses since the depth of field must be minute and this is very limiting for 99% of photography.
Mirrorless are not intrinsically better in low light than either DSLRs or Compacts. The number of photosites on a sensor and the size of them tends to be the governing factor in low light photography. The bigger the photosite the more light and therefore signal it can gather. Also better processing by the camera CPU can reduce the noise level and increase the signal. This is something astrophotographers take advantage of by taking many images and stacking them . the principle is the signal (what you are photographing) is constant in position but the noise is random, so by stacking the signal gets stronger (taller) and the noise being in different places each time tends to not grow as much and even cancel each other slightly. The result is a signal level is much higher than the noise level and a better image can be obtained.
A general rule is that for the same size sensor more megapixels = smaller photosites so for example for a full frame sensor (FX) a 24 megapixel sensor will have less noise than a 36 megapixel sensor. An additional factor is that newer cameras have better sensors and better processing engines builtin so general improvements are taking place all the time. The Nikon Z6 has less noise than the Nikon Z7 so if night or low light photography is your thing then the Z6 is better.
All that being said I am shooting on an older camera (Nikon D850) sometimes at 6400 ISO and I am getting great images with practically no noise after processing through Topaz Denoise AI !

Jan 6, 2020
Hi Artaius: I'm very new to the Nikon cameras and photography. I will purchase one once I have fully decided as to what type of camera that has all the things I want on it and the type as well. You have made some really great points related to the Mirror-less and DSLR's. I feel that info has made some very great points to my issues in learning. I'm leaning towards the Nikon Z 6. What is your take on this type of camera? I know that it doesn't have the 2 card slot, which I would like. I also find the lens choice, at present, quite minimal and very pricy. Any input would be great.

ASK THE COMMUNITY