• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

Fixing noise

Hey

The biggest thing I use editing software for is for fixing noise due to shooting in low light, high ISO at local gigs.

I'd love to know any of tricks and tips you guys have. I have only really used Lightroom for editing photos and have no experience with any the rest. Is there any other software I should try such as Photoshop etc to get a better finish?

Look forward to have a good discussion.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: TammyLynn and loki
Nov 18, 2019
shoot multiple frames of the same . stack them as layers in photoshop and set the layers to smart objects. select them all, and from the menu go to layers>smart objects>stack mode>median.
that takes the differences between the layers (noise, movement, etc.) and removes it.

Nov 18, 2019
instagram.com
Hey

The biggest thing I use editing software for is for fixing noise due to shooting in low light, high ISO at local gigs.

I'd love to know any of tricks and tips you guys have. I have only really used Lightroom for editing photos and have no experience with any the rest. Is there any other software I should try such as Photoshop etc to get a better finish?

Look forward to have a good discussion.

Thank you in advance.
In Lightroom, using the Masking slider in the Sharpening panel to limit the sharpening only to the edges that need it - you can visualise this holding Alt while you use the slider. This avoids sharpening the whole image, along with its noise.

If you want to get into Photoshop, look into luminosity masking. This allows you to selectively apply noise reduction to where it's most noticeable (usually the shadows). There are lots of videos on YouTube about it.

Reactions: TammyLynn
Nov 18, 2019
www.instagram.com
Adobe RAW processing is pretty good at removing noise. I shoot a lot of corporate events and the lighting is always awful, much worse than the gigs I've shot.

I've also used the software extension (I think it's a stand-alone as well) Nik Collection. The copy I have is the free version they gave away a few years ago when Google took over (it was Google wasn't it?) and got everyone hooked on it then came out with a new advanced version and started charging for it. I never used it much so I didn't buy it, but still have the free version I play around with now and then. Anyway, it has an advanced noise removal system which is quite good. I would imagine the new version is even better.

rlawton

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
I'd say the best time to remove noise is during raw processing (if you shoot RAW files). I don't find Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom to be that good (quite noisy without heavy noise reduction). Capture One is better, while DxO PhotoLab's PRIME noise reduction process is slow but the best there is. Make sure PhotoLab can open your camera's raw files – it doesn't work with Fujifilm X-Trans files.

Nov 24, 2019
I agree with the de-noising capabilities of DXO Photolab (now in version 3) arguably the best there is. I have been using M43 for gig's for quite a while now (Panasonic G9 now) and with the combination of fast glass primes and DXO (and the free version of the NIK Collection - Version 1 still free from DXO) I'm very pleased with the results.... Using RAW of course!

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY