• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

Question Graphics Tablet vs Touch Laptop

Nov 26, 2019
Hi,
I am mostly a newbie using Gimp and Rawtherapee. I thinking of upgrading to a better laptop(no desktops for me!) and was wondering what would be a better idea, a touch laptop or a graphics tablet. What do you guys think? Also, recommendations for any other photo editing hardware would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Aayush

Nov 18, 2019
it depends on how many pressure sensitivity levels you want. on my touch laptop you get the image on the screen, which is great, it's just like drawing or writing on a paper. but once the pen goes down it doesn't matter how gently or hard you press, it's treated like an on or an off switch.

i couldn't get used to the tablets where you draw on a grey area and the screen shows you what you're doing. so i got a wacom tablet that has a screen that shows you the image while you draw/edit. this makes things much easier. and it (and the cheaper models) all have pressure sensitivity settings. so as i touch the screen lightly with the pen i get less of a mark, and as i push down i can get more of a mark. pretty useful when it comes to masking, which is about all i use it for.

i would stay away from a touch laptop. they're still pretty pricey for what you get. and you might find that it's not able to handle your photos and photo editing software. i have a lower end laptop for traveling and after a year of minor use it slowed down considerably. the last few trips i took if i tried to edit photos in lightroom i'd get some really bad pixelation in the sky. now it's used for viewing the files and backing them up on a harddrive while on the road.

Dec 12, 2019
Hi,
I am mostly a newbie using Gimp and Rawtherapee. I thinking of upgrading to a better laptop(no desktops for me!) and was wondering what would be a better idea, a touch laptop or a graphics tablet. What do you guys think? Also, recommendations for any other photo editing hardware would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Aayush
Probably the most important issue is the colour performance of the screen rather than what device? An expensive laptop with touch screen might have near 99% of sRGB and can be profiled for accuracy. This means any colour editing should be accurate. Either way if either device could support an external monitor you could get a laptop/tablet that suited you and a separate 24" plus screen for more accurate editing? Most laptops support more storage than tablets and this is another issue if you start amassing images.

ASK THE COMMUNITY