Question Grey Market?

Nov 23, 2019
I look at second-hand prices for photography gear and often find they're more expensive than brand new on the grey market. Is grey market a no-brainer or would you be weary of purchasing from the grey market?

Nov 18, 2019
it probably depends on what you're buying. some lenses are almost always rock solid. and others seem to have issues. so if you read reviews on the item before hand and most people don't have any issues then you might do ok on the grey market. if it seems like it takes people several copies to get a sharp lens or whatever the issue is then i'd want to buy something that comes with a warranty. it also depends on who you buy from. so make sure you're dealing with a reputable seller.

Nov 19, 2019
As long as you buy from a reputable place that has it's own warranty then I'd say go for it.

When the Nikon D850 came out I was on a waiting list for a UK Nikon one that was estimated at 4 months.

I got a grey import for almost £1000 less and had it in a week.

Nov 25, 2019
I again have purchased a Grey Nikon D850 saved over £1200 and it came with a 3 year guarantee, have purchased several lens from same company with same guarantee I had a problem with 1 lens and they resolved the problem quickly and to my satisfaction. The money I have saved has meant I can have better kit than if I had purchases in the uk. I will continue to buy from the Grey Market as I feel that I get better value better guarantee same sort of delivery time

Nov 18, 2019
www.instagram.com
Where you can run into Grey Market gear can be with the warranty, even though it says it has one, when you try to use that warranty you may be told something different. Same with insurance, though I've not heard of anyone having a problem there. I do know that Canon Professional Services will not service or recognise grey imports, even though they are official Canon products.

PS.... None of the above really matters unless you are working professionally really.

Nov 23, 2019
Where you can run into Grey Market gear can be with the warranty, even though it says it has one, when you try to use that warranty you may be told something different. Same with insurance, though I've not heard of anyone having a problem there. I do know that Canon Professional Services will not service or recognise grey imports, even though they are official Canon products.

PS.... None of the above really matters unless you are working professionally really.
I'll never be good enough to make any money from my shots.

Nov 19, 2019
I'll never be good enough to make any money from my shots.
Once upon a time i thought the same .. i got paid this summer for doing some prom photos for a friend and her high school entourage ($175), my first wedding (again a friend $100), some family photos for a co-worker, never say never iu already have more prom photos this year, and a second wedding lined up ! (yes im not a super pro but around here people appreciate having photos with a "decent photographer" (to which thats their opinion not mine) as opposed to the ones that charge $2500 around here

Dec 12, 2019
I look at second-hand prices for photography gear and often find they're more expensive than brand new on the grey market. Is grey market a no-brainer or would you be weary of purchasing from the grey market?
I used to buy much of my gear from 'Grey Market' sources however while (on the whole) I have found it safe to buy a camera body I do not (now) consider it safe to buy lenses. I have had multiple issues with grey lenses from just not sharp to breakdowns. Better to buy a good used lens but be sure the seller is honest about its use and wear and tear. There are sharp operators.

Nov 19, 2019
i think this depends on what your after and price is my opinion ... if its a 200 or 300 lens i say no biggie but for example i want to buy a sigma 150-600 and HECK NO i want genuine .. will be ordering from henrys canada or straight from sigma because of the price

Reactions: AnOpticalView
Dec 12, 2019
You have got to ask yourself the source of these 'grey' products. Are they full quality items the same as Nikon Uk or Nikon USA etc sell us via bona fide shops etc ? Are they simply excess items 'dumped' on some third world market at bargain prices and then brought in via a back door at a small profit and sold to us? Or finally, are they flawed/failed quality assurance runs sold off cheap or 'diverted' on the way to the crusher?

I used to think they were the middle choice for both camera bodies and lenses but am now convinced by experience that the lenses might be the latter?

As others have said in here you may be asked to call on the often shorter warranty sometimes with additional costs to you, you may find that your home countries repair service will not repair it etc.

However there are great savings to be made and while it is easy to find some that are very pleased with their own grey item those with issues are less likely to own up through machismo or embarrassment.

I have had great luck buying secondhand and it is easy to see the wear and tear. I had bought 'used' lenses that look like they have never been mounted to a body? Similarly I see items (usually from pros) described as in 'great' condition or 'as new' that are worn to the brass on their mounts with broken filter threads and marked front elements (dropped).

ASK THE COMMUNITY