News Hands on: Canon EOS R5 review

Jul 13, 2020
It is disappointing that Canon would not allow any images to be taken, the obvious question is why? Maybe for still photography the R5 isn't any better than the existing cameras many people have. I will hold off on my perches until I see some comparisons.

With the battery life the EOS-R5 is predicted to have I think I'll stick with my EOS-5D Mark IV. When shooting weddings, I am trying to change batteries (as well as memory cards) as little as possible. I wouldn't mind having the electronic shutter that the EOS-R5 has but that's not enough to jump systems (EF to RF).

Jul 13, 2020
Their saying 300 images, and 400 something. with the screen at half bright. I am not sure what my 5D mark 4 gets but I am guessing it is over a 1,000 images on one charge. Three to 400 images is ridiculous, of course there is the battery grip that holds two batteries for $350, also it doesn't have built in GPS. There is also the over heating problem which from the reviews is mostly for video, but they apparently have a fix, thy have made a lens adapter for the EF lenses that apparently cools down the senor, but then the camera is limited to EF lenses. It seems Canon rushed this camera. For me around a 1,000 images on a battery is good, maybe 800 would be acceptable. For a two to three hour shoot I usually take around 500 images and don't want to change the battery. Sometimes for wildlife photography I will take over 700 images, once in a while a 1,000. By the time the battery grip $350, 4 batteries $300, lens adapter $400 (I think) it will cost an additional $1,000.00 plus just to get the camera where it should have been out the door. Then if the shooter will be in a location where charging batteries is not possible there maybe many $100's more invested in batteries. Sony is looking better.

Gam3r01

Apr 1, 2020
Their saying 300 images, and 400 something. with the screen at half bright. I am not sure what my 5D mark 4 gets but I am guessing it is over a 1,000 images on one charge. Three to 400 images is ridiculous, of course there is the battery grip that holds two batteries for $350, also it doesn't have built in GPS. There is also the over heating problem which from the reviews is mostly for video, but they apparently have a fix, thy have made a lens adapter for the EF lenses that apparently cools down the senor, but then the camera is limited to EF lenses. It seems Canon rushed this camera. For me around a 1,000 images on a battery is good, maybe 800 would be acceptable. For a two to three hour shoot I usually take around 500 images and don't want to change the battery. Sometimes for wildlife photography I will take over 700 images, once in a while a 1,000. By the time the battery grip $350, 4 batteries $300, lens adapter $400 (I think) it will cost an additional $1,000.00 plus just to get the camera where it should have been out the door. Then if the shooter will be in a location where charging batteries is not possible there maybe many $100's more invested in batteries. Sony is looking better.
To be fair the rated battery life is generally under what the actual results are.
On my RP, rated at 250 shots, I can easily pull an average of 600-800 on a single battery with typical powering down when not in use. Couple that with in body USB-C PD charging and Ive never ran out of battery.

Jul 13, 2020
That would be good news for Canon, as few people want to change a battery every few hundred shots. I usually change the battery when it is below 30% while shooting and wouldn't start with a battery less then 60% unless it was for a hike or some other situation where I didn't expect to take many images. Canon used to be one of the few brands that I really liked but not so much any more.

Aug 22, 2020
Would love to be able to post on how great this camera is but unfortunately despite ordering end of July I am now being quoted end September for delivery. It’s a shame that supply has fallen so short of demand.

Sep 2, 2020
With the battery life the EOS-R5 is predicted to have I think I'll stick with my EOS-5D Mark IV. When shooting weddings, I am trying to change batteries (as well as memory cards) as little as possible. I wouldn't mind having the electronic shutter that the EOS-R5 has but that's not enough to jump systems (EF to RF).
I got 1200 images out of a single battery this weekend with the R5, I had the body in ECO mode so the display dims after a few seconds and that seems to save a lot of power.

I got 1200 images out of a single battery this weekend with the R5, I had the body in ECO mode so the display dims after a few seconds and that seems to save a lot of power.
Yeah, I always have my 5DIV in the sleep when not in use mode to get the most out of that camera as well. Do you shoot weddings? 1,200 images are pretty good with one battery and for most weddings, especially elopements, that would be enough juice for the whole day.

Sep 2, 2020
Yeah, I always have my 5DIV in the sleep when not in use mode to get the most out of that camera as well. Do you shoot weddings? 1,200 images are pretty good with one battery and for most weddings, especially elopements, that would be enough juice for the whole day.
Yep, shooting weddings with the R5/R6 combo. I was quite surprised it last that long, I reckon it would last the day but I'll probably change halfway through just to be on the safe side.

Yep, shooting weddings with the R5/R6 combo. I was quite surprised it last that long, I reckon it would last the day but I'll probably change halfway through just to be on the safe side.
What cameras were you using before? I got the 5DIV at the end of 2018/beginning of 2019 so I probably won’t be upgrading until the R5ii comes out but I am hoping to rent and use one of the regular R5’s before then.

Sep 2, 2020
What cameras were you using before? I got the 5DIV at the end of 2018/beginning of 2019 so I probably won’t be upgrading until the R5ii comes out but I am hoping to rent and use one of the regular R5’s before then.
Pair of 5DIVs that I got in 2017 around release time. I bought an R June 2019 and that was the game changer for me, got it just to play with mirrorless but it quickly became my go to body.

Reactions: canon5dsquared
Oct 28, 2020
Texas Media Services has R5’s IN STOCK and are an authorized Canon seller so no grey market scam. Terry is a great guy, tell him Shawn told you about them having them in stock.

Oct 31, 2020
Hello, this camera sounds great for what I shoot however, how are the results using the adapter and EF lenses? I think I'll trade in the EOS 5DS which I haven't used since I got the Mark IV.

Thanks

mi, exelente aporte, soy un novato pero cada dia aprendo mas. Si bien, recién estoy empezando y mis primeras fotos fue gracias a una empresa de Vidrieria en San Borja, las imagenes que he captado no me han salido tan buenas por el lente, pero gracias a esta info puedo mejorar.

ASK THE COMMUNITY