News Hands on: Canon EOS R5 review

Jul 13, 2020
It is disappointing that Canon would not allow any images to be taken, the obvious question is why? Maybe for still photography the R5 isn't any better than the existing cameras many people have. I will hold off on my perches until I see some comparisons.

Jul 13, 2020
Their saying 300 images, and 400 something. with the screen at half bright. I am not sure what my 5D mark 4 gets but I am guessing it is over a 1,000 images on one charge. Three to 400 images is ridiculous, of course there is the battery grip that holds two batteries for $350, also it doesn't have built in GPS. There is also the over heating problem which from the reviews is mostly for video, but they apparently have a fix, thy have made a lens adapter for the EF lenses that apparently cools down the senor, but then the camera is limited to EF lenses. It seems Canon rushed this camera. For me around a 1,000 images on a battery is good, maybe 800 would be acceptable. For a two to three hour shoot I usually take around 500 images and don't want to change the battery. Sometimes for wildlife photography I will take over 700 images, once in a while a 1,000. By the time the battery grip $350, 4 batteries $300, lens adapter $400 (I think) it will cost an additional $1,000.00 plus just to get the camera where it should have been out the door. Then if the shooter will be in a location where charging batteries is not possible there maybe many $100's more invested in batteries. Sony is looking better.

Gam3r01

Apr 1, 2020
Their saying 300 images, and 400 something. with the screen at half bright. I am not sure what my 5D mark 4 gets but I am guessing it is over a 1,000 images on one charge. Three to 400 images is ridiculous, of course there is the battery grip that holds two batteries for $350, also it doesn't have built in GPS. There is also the over heating problem which from the reviews is mostly for video, but they apparently have a fix, thy have made a lens adapter for the EF lenses that apparently cools down the senor, but then the camera is limited to EF lenses. It seems Canon rushed this camera. For me around a 1,000 images on a battery is good, maybe 800 would be acceptable. For a two to three hour shoot I usually take around 500 images and don't want to change the battery. Sometimes for wildlife photography I will take over 700 images, once in a while a 1,000. By the time the battery grip $350, 4 batteries $300, lens adapter $400 (I think) it will cost an additional $1,000.00 plus just to get the camera where it should have been out the door. Then if the shooter will be in a location where charging batteries is not possible there maybe many $100's more invested in batteries. Sony is looking better.
To be fair the rated battery life is generally under what the actual results are.
On my RP, rated at 250 shots, I can easily pull an average of 600-800 on a single battery with typical powering down when not in use. Couple that with in body USB-C PD charging and Ive never ran out of battery.

Jul 13, 2020
That would be good news for Canon, as few people want to change a battery every few hundred shots. I usually change the battery when it is below 30% while shooting and wouldn't start with a battery less then 60% unless it was for a hike or some other situation where I didn't expect to take many images. Canon used to be one of the few brands that I really liked but not so much any more.

ASK THE COMMUNITY