News How big a problem is an f/11 telephoto? Canon’s new lenses look mad… but aren’t

Jul 10, 2020
Your shutter speed of 1/500 IMO is a far too generous for capturing telephoto subjects in motion. Even for still subjects you need an absolute minimum of 1/600 for a 600mm lens and even then you will have to use great technique and will still end up with plenty of not-quite-tack-sharp images. Most people will try to go double that for still subjects, i.e. 1/1200, just to compensate for random camera shake. Once you factor in subject motion, your camera shake will increase invariably as you are trying to frame your subject plus you need a higher shutter speed anyway to freeze the motion which will lead you to shoot at 1/2,000 often at 1/2,500 or 1/3,200 if it's birds in flight.

F11 does put you at a significant disadvantage. I believe there are more practical options for affordable super telephoto lenses like the third party 150-600 super zooms which will also give you a nicer depth of field.

Jul 17, 2020
You forget that the R5 and R6 have IBIS, which means they provide up to 5 additional stops of stability so 1/500 of a second should be more than sufficient to combat hand shake. 1/500 should also be sufficient for freezing action when shooting indoor sports. If shooting BIF, well, don't shoot them indoors.

p.s. But if you're using these lenses with the R or RP, then, yeah, these lenses suck. And FWIW I agree with you that there are a lot of better options, although very few that go as long and are as light.

ASK THE COMMUNITY