How do I transfer an image from a spotting scope to a computer screen?

Jun 10, 2020
Hello friendly people,
I am a ranger and I interact with people on the coast and often use my spotting scope to showcase birds. As I'm no longer allowed to have anyone touch the scope, I would like to find a way of projecting the image from the scope onto a computer screen/tablet screen. Any ideas what sort of kit I need?

Julie

Gam3r01

Apr 1, 2020
Depends on the sort of scope you are using, there may be purpose built devices just for this, or you can try your luck with smaller universal adapters:
Example: https://www.amazon.com/Gosky-Universal-Phone-Adapter-Mount/dp/B013D2ULO6?th=1

The official term is digiscoping, and if you wanted to display the images on something larger you could use a DSLR style adapter to photograph through the scope and display on a screen at a later date.

The first option is an instant result, while the other would provide far greater image quality.

Reactions: JulieOS
Jun 10, 2020
Depends on the sort of scope you are using, there may be purpose built devices just for this, or you can try your luck with smaller universal adapters:
Example: https://www.amazon.com/Gosky-Universal-Phone-Adapter-Mount/dp/B013D2ULO6?th=1

The official term is digiscoping, and if you wanted to display the images on something larger you could use a DSLR style adapter to photograph through the scope and display on a screen at a later date.

The first option is an instant result, while the other would provide far greater image quality.
Thanks for this. The scope I have is a Hawke Nature Trek 65MM. The universal smartphone adaptor is not quite right for this as I would like to show images on a bigger screen, so say a tablet or a laptop. And if possible I would like for it to be a live stream, so that what you see on the screen is actually what is in the scope that moment. Also, and I know I'm asking a lot, but I would like for it all to be connected with a chord, as some of the areas I work in don't have wifi or mobile phone network coverage. Any other ideas?

If not I think we may need to buy a bridge camera and ither use it on its own or use it on the scope with an adaptor. I could then put the images from the camera onto a screen but it would not be live.

I've seen peopel use adaptors on microscopes where they transmit what is in the microscope onto the screen of a laptop, and that's what I'm really after but for my spotting scope.

Thanks everyone for any other ideas you can offer. Much appreciated.

ASK THE COMMUNITY