I'm thinking of getting a compact camera, what do you recommend

Dec 12, 2019
I cannot recommend a particular compact camera but would advise principally on two areas.

Firstly, you will have a minimum quality of results that would/will be acceptable to you. This should determine the format (size/ratio) of the sensor. Perhaps 1", DX or even FX?

Secondly, intended use will determine technical functionality. For example, does it allow RAW images , does it have a optical zoom lens (and what is its range) or fixed single focal length lens. What is the viewfinder like? Do you need a waterproof compact for water-sports, shallow underwater? Is the menu easy to navigate. What overall size is acceptable? Does it need to produce video and is the quality good enough?

Apart from these two considerations there will be your budget.

Finally enjoy choosing it and certainly I am seeing great results from compacts. Ideal street photography cameras!

Nov 18, 2019
sorry, but that's a very open ended question. do you have a budget? and what does compact mean to you - ie bridge or small mirrorless or even a entry level dslr?

Nov 18, 2019
Thanks for the replies, my budget is up to £500.

I'm trying to adopt the advice principle of:
If you're looking for a camera, choose one that others use.

That way if I have any questions there will be someone to answer them.
that may not be the best way to pick out a camera. go to a store and handle a few cameras. see if you can comfortably hit all of the buttons without taking the camera away from your eye. what feels good in my hands may not feel good in yours (aka ergonomics). that'll narrow your choices down considerably and then you can research a few models. personally i like the retro style controls of the fuji x (very small) and g series (very expensive). canon is nice too, but bigger and heavier. never used nikon or sony. a lot of people love sony but i never really liked their ergonomics or controls.

ASK THE COMMUNITY