• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

Interesting side-forum...

Nov 15, 2019
I never thought that this would have it's own subforum, but it's true, I end up taking short videos when ostensibly out doing straight up photography. I usually use it to document funny things or memorable moments, but never really thought of it as part of my portfolio.

Does anyone here routinely use their digital camera as a video recorder? I am curious if you have any best practices to share if so.

Reactions: MMohammed

MMohammed

Assistant Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Best practice: don't drop the camera. Nah but seriously, I use mine for short video clips all the time. Mostly, it's a great way to get an incredibly adorable dog on camera (with the blessing of their often friendly human, of course!)

Nov 19, 2019
I shoot quite a lot of video with my DSLR - it blows the old camcorder into the weeds.

Some basics to get started.
  • Manual mode
  • Manual focus if you can.
  • Set shutter speed to a multiple of your AC supply. 1/25" or 1/50" if in the UK. This will prevent flicker If shooting under artificail light and give you a nice cinematic look that's pleasing to the eye.
  • Set aperture to your desired depth of field look.
  • Control exposure using ISO via the histogram. If you run out of low ISO i.e. outdoors at F/2.8 in sunlight - use an ND filter.
  • Don't neglect sound - use an external recorder or good quality hotshoe mic with some mount dampening. Remember - if you image quality is a little off, people will forgive you. If your sound is off - they won't.

Reactions: AWR Marendradika

Artaius

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
www.digitalcameraworld.com
I think this is the most fascinating thing about the latest stage of the digital revolution: everyone with a stills camera bought in the last few years also has a really powerful video camera – some of them amazingly so. Which means that all stills shooters can become de facto videographers by simply turning a dial.

Whether it's YouTube encouraging more people to create content for that purpose, or professional photographers who are now able to offer video services to complement their core imaging business, the fact that so many of us can record fantastic-quality 4K video is something that we can take such great advantage of.

@Mister_Oy has some great tips! Here's my own secret sauce for video:

• Shoot at 24fps to achieve a smooth and cinematic look
• Your shutter speed should be double your frame-rate, which in this case means around 1/50
• As with stills, keep your ISO as low as you can
• For creative work / depth of field, use supplemental light and stick to a set aperture
• For changeable light, a lens with a declicked aperture ring will control your exposure silently
• DEFINITELY use an external microphone to get good sound!
• A gimbal or camera with in-body image stabilization is a must if you aren't using a tripod
• If you're relying on autofocus, cameras with contrast detect AF will often hunt and let you down; phase detect is sturdier
• Editing is arguably the most important thing! Knowing how to cut footage trumps having posh editing software

Reactions: AWR Marendradika
Nov 19, 2019
^^^^ Good stuff.

Of course I meant 1/50" not 1/25" - and 1/100" if needed. 25fps for me for flicker reasons above. USA folk will need 1/30"

Yes - good editing is vital. Premiere pro and After effects for me. I'm lucky that work pay for the full Adobe CC suite.

ASK THE COMMUNITY