News iPhone 12 Pro to get more dynamic range than the Canon EOS R5!

Oct 6, 2020
Nope.

The iPhone 12 shoots by default in multi-shot HDR mode. The Canon R5 can do that as well, as can pretty much any camera. Those that don't make it automatic still allow any experienced photographer to shoot as much DR as they need using bracketed shots.

Smartphones use computational photography and AI to make these things more accessible to people who don't understand how to use a camera. They do not perform the miracle necessary to make a 1/2.55" sensor compete with a full frame sensor.

Nov 16, 2020
Until the manufacturers start making larger sensors phones with actual lens mounts and actual physical programmable buttons/dials and an evf option, I wont be going anywhere near them for anything other than video and snaps.

Nov 16, 2020
It's definitely a great achievement for smartphone's but it's all relative. Relative to the sensor size (pixel pitch) & relative to the actual amount glass collecting light.

Let's not forget all smart phone's are fixed aperture. Only a Panasonic smartphone running Android I used to own with a 1" sensor had actual aperture blades.

However, for the masses of the populace, this can only mean more people get interested in photography which is a good thing.

Replace the full frame, crop or m43 systems? No chance.

Nov 17, 2020
I own the R5 and also the iPhone 12 Pro Max and can tell you that title is very misleading, click bait like. There is no comparison in image quality.

It is very impressive what Apple has done with the output images - putting what normally would be a considerable amount of editing and “know how” into everyday users hands (literally) who normally would not have the know how, time, or capability. However, this is an “apples to oranges” type comparison. Technically a Honda Civic can drive around a race track, but will it beat the lap times of an F1 car driven by a capable driver? Phone manufactures market things like 8k, but does that come anywhere close to the 8k of a Red cinema camera, or even the R5?

I’m sure the title has done it’s job and worked very will to get users to click it.

While the claimed 14 stops may be true on a technical level, the reality of the flexibility in shooting and output is far, far different, given a competent user with the iPhone or R5.

ASK THE COMMUNITY