• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

Question Is Olympus camera design the reason it isn't as popular as Nikon, Canon, etc?

Nov 14, 2019
I cannot understand this. Is Olympus just considered a crap brand because it isn't as popular? Is it hype? Or is it the design? To be fair, I'd buy the design explanation. They aren't the prettiest.

What do you guys think?

rlawton

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
Where did you get the idea it's considered a cr*p brand? I think many photographers don't trust the Micro Four Thirds sensor size, which is smaller than APS-C. I think Olympus mirrorless cameras are very good. I must do, because I just bought one!

Reactions: g_marinakis
Nov 24, 2019
Agree with @rlawton, it's because Olympus (and Panasonic) decided to go the Micro Four Thirds route and many DSLR owners say the results are not what they think are good enough - probably without actually trying them?

Nov 18, 2019
i wouldn't consider either a crap brand. but i honestly can't think of a single digital camera that either has released in recent memory. i know they must have released a camera, but i've either not heard of it or didn't pay any attention. and when that happens people start to think less of these brands. people get ideas in their head that they're not the companies with the innovative cameras (not always true), they don't have any good cameras (also not always true) or even that they're no longer producing serious cameras (i've been guilty of this).

marketing is 90% of doing business.

Nov 24, 2019
2019 - Olympus releases -

OMD-EM5 III, PEN PL10, Tough TG6, OMD-EM1X.

Panasonic -

G95, G90, FZ1000II, ZS80, S1, S1R, S1H

Most of the above have been widely advertised in the relevant areas - especially the Panny S Full Frame series which are possibly more innovative than many recent cameras!

Reactions: g_marinakis

ASK THE COMMUNITY