• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

Question Is the X1D worth buying?

Nov 12, 2019
Looking around for a new medium format camera and the options are dizzying! Any thoughts on the X1D?

Artaius

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
www.digitalcameraworld.com
Ninja edit: I've just posted my full Hasselblad X1D II 50C review, which contains most of my musings on the camera. You can't argue with the images it produces, but you'll certainly need to adopt a more considered way of shooting.

I first played with the X1D II in June (my hands-on review is here: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/hands-on-hasselblad-x1d-ii-50c-review), and I quite liked the camera in spite of a few issues… most of which were holdovers from the original X1D.

I'm taking it out again for a proper spin this weekend (along with a couple of new bits of glass!), so I'll update with my thoughts when I've had a fresh fiddle. My gut reaction is that you're better placed to go with one of Fujifilm's GFX bodies, as the performance and price are both more agreeable. And if you can afford the GFX 100, it's genuinely one of my favourite cameras…

Last edited:

rlawton

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
I love the X1D's design, feel and handling, and the lenses and image quality are excellent. Like @Artaius I found the original a bit flaky, tough, so for a camera to actually use rather than just admire I'd lean towards the Fujifilm GFX 50R. Those medium format Fujinon lenses are very, very good, too.

Reactions: Mknott
Nov 18, 2019
love my gfx 50r. the lenses are so sharp i could cut myself on them. i might be a little biased but i'd take any of the gfx cameras over a hassie any day.

ASK THE COMMUNITY