Is there any quality difference between Nikon and Canon lenses?

Nov 12, 2019
I know folks who love their Nikon lenses and folks who love their Canon lenses. Is there any difference between the two when it comes to quality?

rlawton

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
For top end pro lenses I'd say there's no real difference but with cheaper consumer lenses I've found Nikon lenses generally a little better. That's just an impression from using lots of both in real world shooting.

Reactions: Mknott
Nov 18, 2019
in most cases you get what you pay for regardless of make. you can get crap lenses or excellent (and usually expensive) lenses from both manufactures. one of the ones i know that's relatively cheap and pretty good is canon's 50mm lens.

Reactions: Shootin'Scotty
Nov 19, 2019
No difference at the pro end.

I use mainly Nikon. But some of the best quality lenses I have are are Fuji my my X-Series gear.

Reactions: loki
Nov 20, 2019
I use Nikon's 1.8G range of primes. Very good image quality and not too expensive.

I'm sure you can achieve good results with Canon primes. Or any other brand.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019
instagram.com
All averaged out there's little difference. Both manufacturers have some great and some poor lenses. It's no longer the case that you need to buy first party lenses to get the best results either - Sigma and Tamron both have some absolutely fantastic offerings that are also cheaper than the Canikon's equivalents.

Dec 16, 2019
Yes, and no. It varies. I have noticed that in group tests, it does seem to be the Nikon that edges out the Canon lenses, but never by much.

ASK THE COMMUNITY