• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

Question Is this the right place to ask about HDR?

Nov 15, 2019
I'd like to know more about how to do HDR imaging - I understand that this can be done with "almost any camera" but I don't know how to get started. I know it involves taking a number of images with different settings, but I am looking for a basic "recipe" that I can learn from and experiment with. Let me know if you have such a secret recipe that you'd be willing to share!

rlawton

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
I have a recipe, but it's not secret. Your aim is to capture a series of exposures that cover the full brightness range in the scene and then merge them together. I'd use your camera's exposure bracketing function to capture three images 2EV apart (one 2EV underexposed, one 'normal' and one 2EV overexposed) and then merge them with HDR software. Most recommend shooting RAW files, but JPEGs will often do.

Reactions: TammyLynn
Dec 12, 2019
The recipe generally starts with shooting with your camera on a tripod and is more successful with broadly static scenes (the set of images have to be aligned by the software afterwards) . The idea is you shoot 3-5 or more images with at least one being the 'correct' exposure and perhaps then one or two images each a stop less exposure each time then the same but increasing the exposure (from the correct exposure) each a stop more. Your camera may allow this in its settings and that would mean reading the manual. It may even 'blend' those images in camera but mostly it is better under your control in software.

After shooting your 'set' of images you would need to import into software of choice that supports HDR as a HDR stack. You would likely be offered choices at this point on what degree or style of HDR you want. It is an easy style of photography to go too dramatic, perhaps start with 'realistic' if that is offered but look at all variations to see what pleases you best and produces the image you want.

ASK THE COMMUNITY