Location lighting setup

Matt Greenwood

Staff member
Nov 19, 2019
I've been slowly building up my location lighting setup ready to take on more portrait clients and maybe even some fashion/editorial projects of my own - thought I'd share where I am at the moment and see what everyone else uses.

The core of the setup will be a Godox AD400 Pro (Citi400 pro in the UK) with the Bowens S mount. Should be high enough wattage for the sort of thing I shoot, it's rare I'm trying to overpower the sun from any meaningful distance. Bowens S is just the sensible option as far as I can tell, flexibility and cost beat out the elinchrom/profoto lines IMO. To support the light (as well as the pretty big modifiers I'll be using) I've got my hands on a Trent monopod from 3-Legged-Thing that should do the job nicely, especially since it comes with feet for when my assistant needs to put it down. For when I don't have an assistant I've got a hefty C-stand but I'm wondering if there are any slightly less bulky/weighty options that don't sacrifice too much stability?

Supporting the main light are my Godox 580II speedlights (x2) and looking to get an AD200Pro (Citi200 Pro) as well for a nice middle-ground.

Modifier-wise I'm using a 41" easy-open "rice-bowl" softbox from Pixapro (a 16-side octabox) as my go-to, with a 35.4" deep umbrella for a more directional light. I've also got some old big softboxes to hand, but I doubt I'll be using them much. For the speedlights I'm using the basic MagMod setup - grids / gels / sphere diffuser.

I shoot mostly one-light setups with the occasional kicker, but if I need to expand I'd probably add another 400/200 pro to the kit.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing? What do you shoot with (or what would you LIKE to shoot with!)?

Artaius

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
www.digitalcameraworld.com
Sounds like a sound little setup! And the MagMods are absolutely brilliant for speed lights – what a wonderful invention that system is!

When I was working, our team had the luxury of being sponsored first by Elinchrom and then by Profoto, so it was a travesty of riches! Still, nothing beats Yongnuo speeds and a couple of modifiers for down and dirty shooting!

Possibly as a reaction to years of assisting and lugging kit around, I tend not to light on location much these days – and when I do, I travel as light as humanly possibly. It's usually Rotolight to the rescue!

Matt Greenwood

Staff member
Nov 19, 2019
Totally agree - they're expensive as all hell if you look at them as just bits of plastic with magnets in them, but when you realise no-one else actually makes anything like it, you start to see the value! I shot a wedding with them at the tail end of last year and it was incredible how much faster I was, how much less I had to worry about bouncing and diffusing, and also how much more I was actually bothering to gel my lights.

Ahhh yes I can imagine the commercial world is an absolute treasure trove compared to the sole trader life haha! I've heard good things about the Rotolights, saw a couple of demos at last years Photography Show with the NEO 2 that got me thinking. I'm a big modifier kinda guy though so the lack of a big softbox put me off :')

ASK THE COMMUNITY