Macro and Extension Tubes

Mar 2, 2020
I use a Sigma 105mm Macro on my Canon 80D.

My question is what benefit could i gain from using extension tubes with this set up, would it give me bigger than life size results ?

Is there anything else i would need to know ?

Finally, which tubes are recommended ? The canon ones are a little too expensive.

Reactions: adrianf1
Dec 16, 2019
I have used my tubes with my Tamron 90mm macro. You can get closer and get a larger image. I had to look that Canon actually made extension tubes, they do. Mine are an inexpensive brand with contacts. You can get "dumb" tubes that have no contacts for your aperture or autofocus control. Mine are branded Vivitar that I ordered from B&H back in 2012 but they do not sell anymore. They still work well.

Reactions: adrianf1

rlawton

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
Extension tubes will let you get closer still @MrSparks so yes, you'd get bigger than life size results. I don't think the Sigma 105mm Macro has an aperture ring, though – the aperture is set by the camera body – so that could be tricky with 'dumb' extension rings that don't have the necessary connections. Unless somebody knows different? How does your setup work @donoreo ?

rlawton

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
So I guess my advice would be to do what you did and get tubes with contacts, even if they cost more – unless you have a lens with an aperture ring and which will work in stop-down mode when it's disconnected from the camera.

ASK THE COMMUNITY