New to Nikon Cameras want to buy one

Jan 6, 2020
I'm not sure which Nikon camera I should choose! willing to get above the D5600 related to the over all cost. The $$ limit is $2,500.00 Willing to learn how to use this camera thru local camera courses and DCW. Please advise which camera would be the best for me, also which type ie. DSCL, Mirrorless, etc.

Jan 6, 2020
I do appreciate your input greatly, may I ask why the 24-70mm. I am really learning so much and would like to know more about the lenses. I know these darn newbies, but we all have to start somewhere, right!! and Thank you so much.

Dec 12, 2019
Firstly, it is often supplied with cameras as it is the most useful zoom range for most things. 24mm being a decent wideangle for landscapes, interiors etc and zooming to 70mm is ideal for portraits and picking out a little more detail. The Nikon Z6 is a Full Frame camera equivalent to a 35mm in the analogue past. This is often called FX for Full Frame. The smaller sensor is DX and the equivalent lens might be an 18-55mm (27mm to 80mm in full frame terms).
The reason I suggested the Z6 is that is has so much going for it. The quality is outstanding and it is one of Nikons newest mirrorless cameras and this is likely to be the future though there is nothing wrong with DSLR (digital single lens reflexes) which have mirrors that flip out of the way when taking a photograph and this may in some circumstances introduce some slight blur.
Most journalists carry a 24-70mm lens and later get a 70-200mm or 70-300mm to supplement it. There is something to be learned here.
Go to a camera shop and ask about the Z6 and compare to the new D780 which is announced tomorrow.

Jan 6, 2020
That info is great, as I do plan on using this new Nikon camera to take photos of My Olde English Bulldogge and her pups when she has them, of my horse (in movement) landscape right outside my backdoor and area also portraits of people. I also have been reading the debate between the digital or full-frame cameras on DCW. That new D780 sounds like an interesting camera to take into account. Do you know about this new D780? There are so many options with the Nikons that it would be nice if they made one to specific demands of the consumer. Most definitely I will learn about the lenses. I think that you are great to help me and thank you soooo much. Great talking Elizabeth Gardner

Jan 6, 2020
Hi Optical View: I to want to ask your opinion on this camera deal that I have the opportunity to get. This woman near where I live is selling her deceased mom's Nikon D3000 complete, also with the two Nikkor lenses one 18-55mm and the other 55-200mm which fit the camera. The camera apparently has only been used several times. She is selling it for $350.00 all bells and whistles included I've read some 400 reviews on this DSLR camera all with great results. I was thinking that this would be a good deal to get while I still have to save for my Nikon Z6 (boy are they expensive). This Nikon camera was brought out in July 2009, which makes it old and now no longer available as the D3500 has taken its place. I was thinking it would get me taking photos and having some fun with it and learning photography also. I really appreciate your input and don't want to buy it making a bad deal. So, with that being said, what is your take on this deal. I know that the Nikon Z6 is mirrorless and a whole horse of a different color so to speak. But I still value your input. Also, would the two lenses fit the Z6 with the adapter that is now out?

Feb 8, 2020
I am also looking for a digital camera or DSLR, If someone over here has prior experience in these ones so please let me know your suggestion and response will be highly appreciated.

Reactions: Kaylenmorrow
Jan 6, 2020
Hi Judy: I'm in the same boat as yourself, however, with a lot of reading inquiring and the like I've come up with some guidelines that just might help you, Judy. First know the amount of money that you can and want to pay for your camera, remember that there is a lot of bells and whistles that go along with it. It's not just the camera unless you've already got the accessories to go along with it. The kits are a pretty good idea to start out as they can have, in some cases, all that you need to start. Then decide if you want to go with a DSLR or a Mirrorless camera. The mirrorless camera, I've noticed has much more expensive lenses. All though the FTZ adapter out now will allow you to use your DSLR lenses on the mirrorless cameras. Another thing that you have to take into consideration is the level of knowledge that you have about cameras and whether you want to go with your skill level. There are some very good entry-level cameras out right up to the pro levels. Anyway, you really need to put the time into it to make an educated buy. This website DCW has got some of the best reviews and information that is out there. The articles are very clear and concise which helps you in the decision process. Also, YouTube has really good videos on cameras and the like. The bottom line it's up to you in the end. The main thing is to enjoy your decision, it's too costly not to. Have fun with your camera and photography as you can upgrade as you get better taking pictures. I hope that this makes sense and has helped you. All the best. Elizabeth Gardner

Nov 26, 2019
The D3000 is too old, but not a bad camera.
If you are a complete noob, don't go with the Z6. The thing is too darn expensive and if you stop shooting photos, you just lost a lot of money.
Look into the D3500 or the D5600.
Or if you want something better, get the Z6 with the 16-50mm and the 50-250mm kit. Good enough for everything but wildlife.
It's $1200, so invest in this for now.
In the event you feel the need for new lenses, splurge!
Just my opinion.

Reactions: Kaylenmorrow

ASK THE COMMUNITY