• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

New to photography (journalism student)

Nov 15, 2019
Hello all,
I am a Journalism student using iPhone XR for photo/ video projects.
Any tips for getting the best shots?
1. It seems I am doing a lot of indoor work under less flattering lights and some of my pics of people and meetings look a bit Walking Dead-ish.
2. In general, should I play it up straight or go for artsy angles?

I can't really afford a new camera, but got this new iPhone for my b-day (thanks, Mom and Dad! Yes, I know how lucky I am!). I'll be using it for the forseeable future so I'd like to know how to get the best use out of it.
Thanks!

rlawton

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
Hey @MJokeefe – without seeing your shots, my tip would be to look for the light in a scene and see how it makes your subject look. If you don't like it, get them to move to where the light is different, or turn them so that the light hits them in a different way. If you can do that, it doesn't matter what camera you're shooting with ;)

Nov 19, 2019
With an iPhone it's all about the light! (Once you have an interesing composition in mind that tells the story.)

Best tip I can give you for indoor shots is.... take people outside lol!

But seriously - as mentioned above - look for the light and use what there is intelligently.

Last edited:
Reactions: sward

ASK THE COMMUNITY