Odd? N Photo and Digital Camera Magazines - British but website in US Dollars Are we the 53rd state?

Dec 12, 2019
Odd? N Photo and Digital Camera Magazines - British but website in US Dollars? Have we joined up with our American cousins in a post Brexit plan?

I hope so as the British Pound Sterling (£) always seems to cost more for most photo gear. I would dearly love to buy at USA prices, they are spoiled. Even their incomes are higher for similar jobs that must make photography much more affordable? :)

Now dont get me started on the cost of fuel (petrol/gasoline/diesel) ................................. o_O

Dec 12, 2019
I always get confused with USA quoted prices.

Are they quoted to us Brits as pre or post state purchase taxes?

The same way the UK doesn't ( or didn't) charge VAT on exports outside of the EU.

That's right something a UK seller has to charge UK citizens £1,200 for they can legally charge the rest of the world £1,000 for, and still make the same profit..

Also if yoo buy something from outside the UK for £1,000 and Customs pick it up you might end up paying HMRC £200, to clear customs.

You are correct about the import customs charge though 'extra' charges are applied for example just to collect the import duty attracts an additional charge. It is rare to find something that can be purchased from USA arriving in UK much cheaper by the time the shipping, the import duty, the handling and fee collection, exchange rate (£ to $) fees etc have been paid. Also the warranty can be effected in as much as there is none or the item might have to be shipped back for repair.

I believe the 'extras' one have to pay are a deliberate disincentive applied to 'protect' official (overcharging) importers from personal importing. One might ask does the Government represent the citizen or big business but I think we know the answer to that.

ASK THE COMMUNITY