News Photo ideas: Waterfalls with light trails – shoot a landscape with a twist!

Jun 19, 2020
I may have missed some details here but should you be encouraging people to throw hundreds of pieces of plastic with chemicals inside into our rivers - how do you collect them after making your images? I would take this article down until that is made clear.

Reactions: andywasley
Jun 19, 2020
This is the epitome of stupidity. And aesthetically abhorrent as well. Not to even mention the environmental crimes that I’m sure are involved. It is ethically irresponsible to publish an article that encourages polluting our waterways with plastic and chemicals. If you want ugly freaking light trails in your photos of waterways, use Photoshop. Even if this produced an aesthetically pleasing image, it is environmentally unethical at the least. Please take this down.

Jun 19, 2020
This article seems very inappropriate and unethical to be encouraging photographers to dump plastic glow sticks into waterways. The glow sticks contain hazardous materials and could potentiality damage the wildlife that lives in these waterways. I also notice that at the end of the article in encourages photographers to collect the glow sticks because of the environmental issues, which tells me that you have already considered that this is pollution to place them there in the first place. I would highly encourage you remove this article and replace it with something that would encourage environmentally friendly photography tips. Thank you.

Jun 19, 2020
This article seems very inappropriate and unethical to be encouraging photographers to dump plastic glow sticks into waterways. The glow sticks contain hazardous materials and could potentiality damage the wildlife that lives in these waterways. I also notice that at the end of the article in encourages photographers to collect the glow sticks because of the environmental issues, which tells me that you have already considered that this is pollution to place them there in the first place. I would highly encourage you remove this article and replace it with something that would encourage environmentally friendly photography tips. Thank you.
No... DCW have added step 7 since people have complained both on here and Facebook. Step 7 previously didn't exist because they didn't consider it. Now it's been added to try and cover it up. If you view the cached page it shows the original article.

Jun 19, 2020
This article is irresponsible and unethical. Take it down. Instead of encouraging photographers to pollute our natural waterways even further, produce some content on how we can be creative, yet work towards saving the environment. The next time I go to shoot waterfalls I really hope I don't see spent glow sticks littering the banks.

Jun 19, 2020
I’m highly skeptical that step 7 is practical. With the number of glow sticks being used in the photo in the story, it would be difficult to gather up all the sticks in even a relatively slow moving current. Did the author gather up all the glow sticks he used in this shot?

Jun 20, 2020
This is incredibly stupid. Throwing non biodegradable plastic sticks with chemicals in water bodies is the worst thing you could be doing right now to make pictures for. Delete this article.

Jun 20, 2020
I'm all for encouraging creativity, but this is awful, and I echo everything said in the comments so far about the littering, but here's another idea: don't encourage people to go to waterfalls at night and wade into the water. It's an astonishingly stupid activity to encourage.

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY