Please control spam and also less shallow clickbait

Dec 12, 2019
Hello can the forum admin somehow prevent both the advertising spam selling everything you can imagine (none related to photography) and the amount of posts titled "How to" leading to shallow articles with inane clickbait such as "Which is best Mirrorless or DSLR?"

It obscures the purpose and discussion in the forum and it is noticeable that post the New Year the former has increased and the latter decreased. It feels a little like the forum is dying apart from a few stalwarts.

The forum can be so much more and its success both complements and bolsters the DCW magazine.

cheers
Ian

Last edited:

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2019
Thanks for the feedback, we're looking into tweaking our spam settings. In the meanwhile please use the report function provided to alert us to any inappropriate content so we can swoop in on it. :)

Reactions: AnOpticalView

rlawton

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
Why is "Which is best Mirrorless or DSLR?" inane clickbait? Just curious, since it seems a perfectly reasonable question for camera buyers to ask.

Dec 12, 2019
Hello Rod, I am sure you are sophisticated enough to firstly know what click-bait is and that such a headline fairly and squarely meets the criteria of inane (the latter which you obviously do not agree with).

The posed question implies an article that would (once and for-all?) resolve an impossible question. DSLR and MirrorLess are merely design/engineering choices and one is not nor ever will be better than another - the Inane bit!

Had the question been posed as follows "Which is best for you, Mirrorless or DSLR?" Then it would have made sense. Then a reasoned discussion about the relative merits and disadvantages of each design could be laid-out to help an individual select what might be best for them and they might then move in that direction to invest in that type of camera.

Dec 12, 2019
Are you referring to this article on DCW:

"DSLR vs mirrorless cameras in 2020: how do they compare and which type is best?"

It is a reasoned discussion abut the relative merits and disadvantages of each design aimed at helping an individual decide.
Yes I know but the title is misleading not the content. That is what click-bait is, a controversial or dramatic lead-in and then an unresolved (relative to click-bait title) content. Else it would have a conclusion stating DSLR is the one to buy or a mirrorless is the one to buy.

Dont get me wrong , this forum is a drop in the internet ocean of click-bait and it is highly successful technique for those wishing to get people to view their products or adverts. I know it is not going to go away but it will kill this forum eventually .

What magazines, not just DCW (and their forums) have lost is real journalism where pressing issues are addressed and thrashed out, not silly fashion social media style non-news. However real journalism takes bravery as opposing big-business (that fund the magazines via adverts and free trips/new product opportunities) is all but dead. Controversial 'elephants in the room' are ignored. I understand that, people need their jobs and it is easier to wind the handle and produce the click-bait stuff with no risk.

For example I was banned from one very well know photographic website and its forums as it was clear its advanced positive lens reviews were anything but honest and certainly misleading the members and viewers of that website. I said so and quoted their own words back to them. Sometimes you just have to take a principle and stand by it. Sad for those that bought those products though.

Reactions: Madmalc

Matt Greenwood

Staff member
Nov 19, 2019
I have to say I disagree completely that it’s a useless question. Firstly - because it is a question a lot of people ask! If a large portion of people interested in photography are asking a question I find it difficult to believe the question can be a useless one - clearly the use is to offer up opportunities to educate people on the differences and the pros and cons of both technologies. The idea that an article could or should answer any question like this with a definitive answer is frankly barmy, since as you point out there are far too many factors to consider that are so unique to an individual use case to be able to come to a universal conclusion.

Secondly, while I understand that click bait has become a fashionable label to put on any good headline - the fact remains that by definition click bait must fail to answer or completely ignore the question posed by the initial link. I don’t think that’s the case with any of the examples mentioned in this thread and I think the editorial team do an incredibly good job condensing the whirlwind of information they’re presented with into concise, helpful content that is easily and usefully digestible - for users at all levels of ability and knowledge. I think we do sometimes run into the issue though that an article is pitched at a certain level, and readers who are at a level of knowledge above that feel like they haven’t gained anything new from it. When you read about the top 10 canon telephoto lenses, you’re not at all surprised to see the 70-200 f2.8 for example. When you know a lot of the content before entering an article I think it can sometimes be difficult to appreciate the value of the information for those who haven’t come across it before.

One example I’ve often come across is people not being aware of quality third-party alternatives to mainstream staples, and when shown that they can achieve the high-quality results they’re after without the mainstream price tag it can be a real boost to not only their wallets but their enthusiasm for both the act of photography and arguably more importantly, for the act of learning.

But if you already know Tamron make a decent 70-200 f2.8 as well, it might feel a bit clickbait-y...

Reactions: LouiseCarey

Matt Greenwood

Staff member
Nov 19, 2019
In person maybe - but in terms of searching the internet, the former is definitely more popular.

I think it's actually pretty much the same question - it's just that people ask for information on Google in non-personal ways most of the time.

ASK THE COMMUNITY