Seashell Collection

Dec 10, 2019
As far as still life photography goes, I enjoy photographing my collection of shells. Some are polished and some are natural and their textures provide nice opportunities to celebrate the interplay of light and shadow. Here's a few examples of shells placed upon a sheet of black foam core board.

On a mirror, then foam core.

Reactions: AnOpticalView
Dec 12, 2019
Here is a nautilus shell that was on the window shelf in the downstairs loo of a house I was looking after. It was covered in dust, so after dusting off it was placed on the floor (in the library) and photographed. I made a high-key image as i felt it suited the subject.

Fine Art Spiral.jpg

Dec 12, 2019
Excellent stuff! I especially like the top mono image. I also enjoy still life/table top/macro and find natural objects have more detail and interest (for me) than man made objects.

Dec 10, 2019
Thanks! Yes, table top projects are always fun especially when photographing objects that really allow for interesting light and shadow play. Flowers can really pop against a black background, as well. Here's a few examples:

Reactions: loki
Dec 10, 2019
Hello Tony,

They're beautiful pictures.

What lens are you using for the flower shots, as you all the dahlia, or chrysanthemum flower head in good focus.

Many thanks

Malc
Hi Malc,

Glad you like them. I own only fixed-lens cameras. The dahlia photo was taken with a Canon G11 and the chrysanthemum with a Sony DSC-H5. I used macro mode and a tripod. Here's a few more I hope you'll enjoy.

Sony DSC-H5

Canon G11

Olympus C5050

Olympus C5050

Olympus C5050

Reactions: loki
Dec 12, 2019
Really fantastic image. Excellent control of light with superb textures. Beautifully presented!

Best,

Tony
Thanks, I collected these this morning, just before the torrential rain we are having here in UK. I had shut the curtains but allowed a narrow gap to allow the light to glance across to emphasize the textures. Propped on the left was a reflector to bounce some light back. Used a 24-70mm tripod mounted, mirror up. Desaturated image slightly to age it slightly.

Nov 24, 2019
Wow, a fantastic portfolio of beautiful shots. Perhaps you should produce a book of shells, their former inhabitants and where you found them. Great work, totally impressed :)
Rod

Reactions: AnOpticalView

ASK THE COMMUNITY