Sigma Lenses

Nov 29, 2019
I have used various Sigma lenses on my Canon bodies. ALL of them have considerable free play after clicking onto the bayonet fitting. Recently I bought the Sigma 150-600 Sport for my Canon 7D Mk II. There is considerable play between the lens and camera when fitted but this does not seem to effect the quality of the pics. Is there a solution to this? Members of our club who use Sigma on Sony and other cameras all have the same problem.

Nov 18, 2019
I have used various Sigma lenses on my Canon bodies. ALL of them have considerable free play after clicking onto the bayonet fitting. Recently I bought the Sigma 150-600 Sport for my Canon 7D Mk II. There is considerable play between the lens and camera when fitted but this does not seem to effect the quality of the pics. Is there a solution to this? Members of our club who use Sigma on Sony and other cameras all have the same problem.
i doubt there's much you can do apart from send it back to sigma. but if picture quality isn't affected then i wouldn't bother. i bought one but ended up sending it back because of the looseness and i wasn't overly impressed with the image quality.

Reactions: Pergear
Dec 12, 2019
I have a number of Sigma lenses and as far as I can feel there is no play when fitted to my cameras (4 of them). They are Nikons though I would expect no difference with Canons?

I suggest before you request a repair and the costs that would incur that you satisfy yourself it is the lenses that need adjusting and not the camera. Perhaps ask another Canon owner to fit the lenses to his/her camera to see if the lenses ares slack ?

Sigma are one of the few that have superior Quality Assurance testing even compared to marque camera manufacturers.

Nov 29, 2019
I have tried my Sigma (and previous ones) on numerous Canon cameras and they all have considerable. Members of our club that use Sigma lenses on their Sony and other camera makes ALL say they have play on their Sigma lenses. I have used Sigma for years on various Canon Cameras and ALL of them have play.

Dec 12, 2019
This sounds like it should have been reported to Sigma? If they are manufacturing lenses for at least two of the major camera manufacturers mounts incorrectly I am sure they would want to know? Perhaps others might care to recount their experience as I find Sigma ART and Sport lenses beautifully engineered. The more forum users we have contribute the clearer the picture will be.
Since lenses often have some front or back focus and the correction for that is very fine I would also imagine that any 'slackness' would be optically detrimental?

Nov 29, 2019
I have reported this to Sigma here in South Africa who say that if the pictures are fine there is nothing wrong with the lens. I have been trying to get an address for Sigma in Japan. Can anyone can help?

Nov 18, 2019
I have reported this to Sigma here in South Africa who say that if the pictures are fine there is nothing wrong with the lens. I have been trying to get an address for Sigma in Japan. Can anyone can help?
sigma's sport line is not as high quality as the art line in terms of optics and build. if the lens stays on and the photos are fine i wouldn't worry about a little wobbliness. if you see gaps between the lens and the body then you have an issue.
you can contact sigma in japan using the contact info here:
you will need to translate it.

Dec 12, 2019
Most Sport lenses are not as premium as the Art lenses but my 500mm F4 Sport is superior quality. It should be it cost far more.

Dec 12, 2019
Googling 'DSLR loose lens mount' would seem to indicate that this can be an issue for Canon and Nikon bodies with heavy telephoto lenses both branded and 3rd party. Other DSLR manufacturers also get a mention for this issue.

It may be more down to the weight of the lens and the construction of the DSLR body.

This makes me question whether a large telephoto lens hanging off what becomes a small DSLR body can cause some issues with the bodies lens mount. There is certainly only a very small mount point and a lot of leverage being applied to it, should too much effort be placed on the body rather than the lens when manouevering.

Thinking about it some very heavy lenses come with weather sealing gaskets, so the lenses are not designed to be loose.

So would a loose lens be a possible indication of body mount damage?

Could the problems being reported be an accumulation effect of manual handling issues, then once the body mount point has been strained, the problem seems more prevalent?

The looseness issue doesn't appear to be being reported as occurring by small prime or short telephoto lens users.
Good post Madmalc, this supports (the unlikely affirmation) that Sigma lenses (in particular) suffer any more than other brands from this 'extra' play that can occur. I am not a Sigma fanboy (though I do admire their driving of quality up) but though I perhaps have at least 7 Sigma lenses all fit my 4 bodies without significant issue.

You make a good point about care and use of cameras and lenses when out and about. Certainly dangling a heavy lens around ones neck via a camera strap and even worse a long lens (a lever) can apply considerable pressure to a lens mount. I have seen several other photographers with sling style straps and longish lenses bouncing off their hips when walking. Not good.

Nov 18, 2019
This makes me question whether a large telephoto lens hanging off what becomes a small DSLR body can cause some issues with the bodies lens mount. There is certainly only a very small mount point and a lot of leverage being applied to it, should too much effort be placed on the body rather than the lens when manouevering.
you're right. heavy lenses can cause damage to the lens mount. that's why you see tripod rings on lenses like the canon 100-400mm. the mount can more than support the weight of the camera, but not the weight of some of the heaviest lenses.

Reactions: AnOpticalView
Dec 12, 2019
You might in the first instance like to drop an email to Roger Cicala at lensrentals.com explaining your issue firstly to find out if he or they have encountered this issue with Sigma lenses that they hire out? Secondly Roger is in contact with Sigma Japan s engineers and might have a useful contact to get directly to them? I am not sure LR or Mr Cicala would respond but he is very respected and produces the best technical lens tests of any site on the internet.

Nov 29, 2019
I understand that PhotoPlus the magazine devoted to Canon has published the 20 best lenses for Canon. Most of these are Sigma lenses. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to find an address to write to them about this problem.

Nov 29, 2019
I have just discovered that the 1.4 tele-converter that came with the lens fits perfectly on my Canon body. For a start I am going to see if the local agents can swap the mounts for me and then I shall ask Sigma in Japan if they can send me a tele-converter mount which I will then fit to the lens

Jul 23, 2020
As i know that Sigma lenses are reallycool and popular, is that truth?

"I have used various Sigma lenses on my Canon bodies. ALL of them have considerable free play after clicking onto the bayonet fitting. Recently I bought the Sigma 150-600 Sport for my Canon 7D Mk II. There is considerable play between the lens and camera when fitted but this does not seem to effect the quality of the pics. Is there a solution to this? Members of our club who use Sigma on Sony and other cameras all have the same problem. "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the Canon 5DIV and only shoot Sigma glass with the exception of my Canon 24mm pancake STM and the 35mm f/2 IS USM. The 35, 50, 85, and 105 (all Art) perfectly mount to my camera without a problem and there's definitely no play in the lens between the lens and body. I even use those same four lenses with my 5DII and still have no issues as you have described.

ASK THE COMMUNITY