Strictly For The Birds

Dec 10, 2019
Hello,

Here's a few of my favorite photos I hope you'll enjoy.

Snowy Egret
Nikon Coolpix P610, f/8, 1/640sec, 650.mm in 35mm, ISO 100, hand-held no cropping.

Great Blue Heron
Sony DSC-RX10 M3, f/4, 1/1600sec, 517.mm in 35mm, ISO 80, hand-held no cropping.

Brown Pelican

Canon SX50 HS, f/6.3, 1/640sec, 882.5 in 35mm, ISO 80, hand-held no cropping.

Dec 10, 2019
Double-crested Cormorant
Sony DSC-RX10 M3, f/5, 1/160sec, 600mm in 35mm, ISO 125, Hand-held no cropping.

Green Heron
Canon SX50 HS, f/5.8, 1/250sec, 840mm in 35mm, ISO 100, hand-held no cropping.

Herrmann's Gull
Canon SX50 HS, f/6.5, 1/640sec, 1141.0mm in 35mm, ISO 80, hand-held no cropping.

Dec 10, 2019
Some great images Tony. You have certainly isolated each bird from the background while still showing a glimpse of the habitat. I particularly like the double-crested Comorant.
Thank you very much for looking and commenting. I especially enjoy portrait style captures, which allow me to appreciate and marvel at their stunning eyes. I can usually get close enough to allow my superzoom cameras to easily fill the frame. Most of my photos feature side-lighting, which is my favorite type of lighting. Yes, cormorants are great to photograph. Cormorant means "sea raven."

Best regards,

Tony

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019
Here's a few more. All wild birds, hand-held, no cropping.

Red-tailed Hawk

Brandt's Cormorant

Ring-billed Gull

Black-crowned Night Heron

Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron

Reactions: loki
Nov 28, 2019
What lovely images.
are they wild birds or in captivity?
I’d love to shoot images like that and wondered where to start.

Dec 10, 2019
What lovely images.
are they wild birds or in captivity?
I’d love to shoot images like that and wondered where to start.
Hello,

Thank you very much. All bird photos posted in this "Strictly for the Birds" thread will be wild birds, hand-held, and not cropped.

I started by deciding which of the categories of photography I enjoyed above all others. That was capturing portraits of birds. That allowed me to scout out local areas which presented the best opportunity to get relatively close to my subjects. In my area that included the coastline, beaches, harbors and lakes. That led to the type of camera that would best suit my needs. I use fixed-lens, superzoom bridge cameras.

The way I use the zoom is to fill the frame with relatively close subjects, rather than zooming in on distant subjects. In this way I'm able to capture enough eye and feather detail to my liking. I also strongly favor side-lighting as a style feature, so I usually take photos during early morning or later afternoon hours when the sunlight is coming from more of an oblique angle rather than directly overhead.

Hope this helps!

Tony

Dec 10, 2019
Here's a few more I hope you'll enjoy.

Snowy Egret

Black Oystercatcher

Black-crowned Night Heron

Double-crested Cormorant

Great Blue Heron

ASK THE COMMUNITY