News The best travel tripods in 2020: from full supports to bag d mini tripods

Nov 27, 2019
I have real difficulty with choosing a travel tripod. If I'm in a motor vehicle, there's no problem with packing a 2kg tripod, but a lot of the time I travel day after day over hill and dale on foot, carrying everything with me - my camera gear, my clothing and toiletries, my water and food, and a whole bunch of other bits and pieces that keep me alive but seem to weigh an awful lot.

An average grown-up male can carry about 12kg over all terrain. For a female it's around 10kg. Yes, you can carry more, but it will eventually beat you. At the very least, you start getting problems with your feet and excessive tiredness kicks in.

Break this down just a little further, I've allowed 3kg for camera kit. Food and water weighs up to 2.5kg and the pack itself weighs in at around 1.5kg. That's 7kg of my 12kg weight allowance gone already, and I haven't even allowed for my phone, maps, first-aid kit, toiletries, oh - and some clothing and possible bedding and maybe even a tent if hostels are not an option.

I consider a tripod a highly desirable piece of kit, but I don't absolutely gotta must have it. Anybody who thinks I'd carry a 1.8kg tripod around rather than some extra water or a book or for the love of god some spare footwear, is in la-la land. Image stabilisation is fantastic, but a tripod is better. Even so, a tripod over 1kg including the ball head is a non-starter.

So in this age of high design and carbon fibre tubing, where is the tripod aimed at the miriad of people who travel like me? Each time I see an article like The Best Travel Tripods in 2020: From Full Supports to Bag-sized Mini Tripods I hope that it will be talking to me, but so far I have been dissapointed. Decent tripods of 1kg or less are rare. People who travel on foot across counties, countries and even continents with their entire kit on their back taking photographs are not.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020
I have real difficulty with choosing a travel tripod. If I'm in a motor vehicle, there's no problem with packing a 2kg tripod, but a lot of the time I travel day after day over hill and dale on foot, carrying everything with me - my camera gear, my clothing and toiletries, my water and food, and a whole bunch of other bits and pieces that keep me alive but seem to weigh an awful lot.
Take a look at Sirui tripods. They are the lightest you can find and I'm shocked that none appeared in this article

ASK THE COMMUNITY