News We don’t want smaller cameras, we want SMALLER LENSES (or even bigger cameras)

May 29, 2020
How did we get to the point where cameras got so small and lenses got so big? It's not just about weight, but balance...

We don’t want smaller cameras, we want SMALLER LENSES (or even bigger cameras) : Read more
I read an article a few years ago about advances in material sciences and developing new techniques for making glass that can bend light more efficiently and thus be thinner/smaller. Unfortunately lens manufactures are currently limited by the laws of physics with modern manufacturing techniques to make lenses that are fast but still somewhat affordable.

May 30, 2020
Hm, as if they didn't already exist: relatively small cameras that can be paired with smallish lenses, making for excellent balance, but also with bigger, constant-aperture zooms if need be. How about Pentax APS-C? The K-7/K-5/K-3/K-? form factor isn't particularly big and offers exceptional ergonomics, and the KP is tiny. The DA Limited lenses are tiny, too, and even the "pro-grade" DA* lenses are less bulky than their FF counterparts. APS-C well and meaningfully done, not just with a few alibi lenses, is arguably not the worst compromise between IQ and portability/balance that a photographer could make.

And here's another thing: Human hands only come in so many sizes. Hence, for cameras/lenses supposed to neatly fit them, neither too big nor too small is ultimately desirable. Just saying.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020
I had an Olympus OMD EM10ii for a while, with the 12-50mm & 40-150mm budget lenses, that were incredibly compact and lightweight but I went back to Pentax and bought a Pentax KP and my favourite lens is my 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 . The KP is not much bigger than the Olympus body but much more comfortable to hold and the lens is fairly compact although quite heavy but not as big and heavy as a f2.8 lens. Unless you are a Pro photographer which I am not, I see no need for a fast lens. I leave my KP on Tav mode, which allows me to set whatever shutter speed and aperture that I want and the camera adjusts the ISO accordingly and because the KP has such a good dynamic range, I still get very good results at higher ISO settings

Apr 5, 2020
What happened to lens size was LAZY FINGERS!!! I still use my Canon FD lenses BUT on a Sony Mark 2 and above camera IBIS, best thing to happen to a camera. What has been added to today's lenses - IS and Fast Auto focus AND FAST Glass. Old film lenses are so Small and Really, Really Fast Glass and great right out of a small bag and today very low in cost. I also like Fast AF and lens IS but but without it the lens will not sell as good. Can you imagine the size of a 200mm f/1.8 or 300mm f/2.8 today compared to the old Canon/Nikon.

May 30, 2020
The author says "we need smaller lenses" but his real complaint is "balance". The author's solution is larger camera body size, even though that's a small portion of the total words.
You can always make any camera body larger by adding add-on grips (usually supplied by vendors with extra batteries inside). Few people are going to support the "make the camera size bigger aftermarket", so those solutions are always going to appear costly. You have to make lots of something for it to enjoy low production cost.
Bigger sensors make for bigger lenses. For a given sensor size, the "big lens" issue simplifies to "High quality/cost, Small Size, large maximum aperture--pick two".

So this is a cry for a very high quality, small sensor camera with big body. Good luck with that...

Apr 25, 2020
Smaller lenses ? Doesn't quite fit with most comments on bodies / lenses I've seen - it appears there's a big demand for everything to be f1.4 to f1.0 with silent and quick AF and weatherproofing - the basic physics say that such a beast cannot be small and of course, not cheap, and that is where the wanna's will back out. Taking a slightly wider view though, there wouldn't be such a demand if 'influencers', reviewers and the media didn't concentrate on making such an issue of how fast a lens is and concentrated more on the quality of the image created.

May 31, 2020
How did we get to the point where cameras got so small and lenses got so big? It's not just about weight, but balance...

We don’t want smaller cameras, we want SMALLER LENSES (or even bigger cameras) : Read more
Your data on theNikon F-mount lenses are completely wrong. It shouldn’t be at the top of the weight or size limits so I went and looked it up. Nikon’s F-mount 24-70 2.8 not the heaviest or longest.

Correct weight: 900g (not 1070)
” height: 133 mm (Not 154.5mm)

From their main site:

Tech Specs

1. Focal Length Range
    24 -
    70mm

2. Maximum Aperture
    f/ 2.8

3. Format
    FX/35mm

4. Nano Crystal Coat
    Yes

5. AF-S (Silent Wave Motor)
    Yes

6. Approx. Dimensions (Diameter x Length)
    3.3 in.
    (83 mm)
    x 5.2 in.
    (133 mm)

7. Approx. Weight
    31.7 oz.
    (900 g)

ASK THE COMMUNITY