Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community! Introduce yourself here.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Digital Camera World community: the world's fastest-growing photography website, covering every aspect of image-making, from DSLR and mirrorless cameras to mobile photography, drones, post-production and printing.
Nov 24, 2019
Hi I'm Carol (aka CarolAnn, LadyGigger, WeBleedMusicMedia)
By day I'm a legal conveyancing assistant, at the weekend or at night I'm nowadays mainly a gig/concert/festival/event photographer who covers the occasional wedding.

Got my first camera before most people on here were born (probably) - from memory, some kind of Kodak Instamatic. Bought my first fixed lens 35mm (a Yashica) in the 70s, worked my way up to a Pentax SLR in the 80s then lost interest for a few years and didn't shoot a lot. Got my first compact digital in 2004 on a trip to the States, then upgraded to a DSLR in 2008 for a trip to Egypt. Since then, the bug hasn't stopped: currently shooting with a Canon EOS-R/Canon 5d3 for events, and when I remember I carry the Canon EOS-M (the original mark 1, can't see what all the criticism was about) in my handbag - it's also handy for videoing impromptu media interviews if I've got a brick lens on the main cameras! Still learning, don't think you ever stop.

Nov 24, 2019
My name is Scott (Shootin'Scotty) from the USA. I've been a lot of things in my life but it always seems to migrate back to photography. I'm a retired Air Traffic Controller, shooting instructor, shooting competitor, home remodeler, etc... My DW and I have been full-time RV travelling around the USA since late 2005 so my photo opportunities are fairly large. I do probono senior photos for folks that can't afford to have them taken.
I started photography about 1970 when I bought a Brownie box camera at a garage sale. I've gone through a multitude of film cameras and finally settled into DSLR in 2005. My only training was photo school in the US Navy when I was shooting intelligence photos.
My favorite photo is usually the one I just shot and I lean towards nature and Black and White. My current camera is a Canon 7d Mark ii.
I'm on Instagram, Shootinscottyphotography and here is my Website.

Reactions: TammyLynn and sward
Nov 24, 2019
Hi,
I'm Ian, currently between jobs.... enough said. I've been taking photos for a long time, learning to develop and print using B&W film in school first off.
Now I use m4/3rds cameras and have both Olympus and Panasonic bodies and lenses, plus I still have several film cameras in the cupboard at home, if I want to use them. I like to take all sorts of images and love to experiment and learn new things.

Bob

Nov 24, 2019
Hi - I'm Bob, and I'm a bit over the age of 80.
I developed a leg condition over the past several years which has limited what I can carry and my walking ability. It also curtailed my interest in photography, which I am now working to restore.
I shoot with Nikon's D850, D500 and P1000 - hate the thought of giving any of them up. Generally do landscape, did chase dragon flies and was trying to develop some skill with panoramas.
I'm now creating a macro "studio" for use in my basemen man-cave office; its 25"x 25", 40" high, with top, bottom and two up-down adjustable shelves in between to substitute for my now limited ability to move around. I'm also playing around with multiple-exposure as I'd rather do this in-camera than using software, which I just don't like to do; I have Paint- Shop and DxO's software.

Nov 25, 2019
Hi I am an amateur photographer who lives in Wiltshire, I have been taking photographs for more years than I care to remember. I use a Canon EOS 70 D for motorsports, landscape/seascapes, and nature , I hope one day to capture an image that I can be pleased with, until then I’ll keep on trying.

Nov 27, 2019
Chris. Traveller, writer, enthusiast photographer, owner of far too many cameras. Currently deciding whether I'm going to ditch my Nikon Z6 and go crawling back to Fujifilm, or whether Nikon will stop trying to destroy the remnants of their camera business and start producing the kind of lenses the bulk of the Z6 buyers are actually interested in. (...normally, about now, the fuses trip out with some of the less grounded photography community members who find a need to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. I've become fairly particular about the gear I like to work with, but feel free to put me right.)

Reactions: sward and TammyLynn
Nov 27, 2019
I am using Panasonic super zooms for a long time, I wanted to experience Nikon technology but at a lower cost than the full frame dslr cameras and lens combination.

The Nikon Z50 with 16-50 &50-250 mm lens kit was a real bargain. Personally I find it a perfect combination of compact, lightweight an good quality of lenses. I don’t own other Nikon lenses so I have all in a small package.

I miss some possibilities of ibis, but the lenses are exceptional in image stabilizing.

The tilting screen works fine, and allows to take pictures at ground level. Touch screen focus lets you chose focus point and start taking a picture.

The shortest distance to focus is 20 cm.

500px link

Instagram link

Reactions: sward
Nov 28, 2019
Hi. I’m Sue.

i had an Olympus OM20 back in the day. The problem was I never had it when I needed it as it was too big to carry. Now 35 years later I have just retired and want to take up photography as a hobby. I have discovered the Olympus OM cameras again and find them small and light enough to carry. I am a complete novice. I am interested in butterflies and dragonflies. I want to learn to photograph them so I can identify them at my leisure. Macro photography interests me.
any help and advice gratefully received

Hi
I'm George and I start work as professional photographer in 2008. My love for the theater, dance and it’s dim light, drove my passion to capture the emotions of actors , singers , dancers and all kind of performers. This challenge gave me the opportunity to express my self through such spectacles.
“Let me take you to a journey full of pictures”, would probably be one of my favorite quotes.

MY OLYMPUS | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK

Dec 12, 2019
Hi, I live in the South West of England

I started photography 46 years ago and was home processing C41, E6 and Cibachrome 43 years ago by using a jug of water with ice cubes and a kettle full of boiling water to regulate the required 38C plus or minus 0.5 degrees. The water temperature was measured via a medical thermometer which had to be shaken to reset each time. The print drum has to be constantly revolved (by hand) in the water bath while performing this measurement! If anyone wanted to use the bathroom (where I was) they had to wait - lol

When I started a 36 exposure Kodachrome 25 (25 iso transparency film) was around £8 and my weekly income either £1 or £2 (if my dad handed it over). Consequently each image was carefully composed, metered and checked. Exposure latitude was about a quarter of a stop with this film and that was then set until the mounted transparencies hurtled through the front door. Colour photography was a well-to-do persons pursuit but mono was a much more affordable branch. Ninety percent of photography was monochrome and it is still my first love. An image not printed is an image wasted! By all means post online and share images but please print your best to realize their true beauty.

Nowadays photography is available to all, a massive improvement, however those that can afford travel seem to have hit every world well known venue. Creativity costs nothing and this is still at a premium.
Gone are learning reciprocity tables off by heart (I was nerdy) and concocting complex, smelly and occasionally poisonous/noxious developer and toning solutions to be replaced by complex editing which I thoroughly enjoy.
I help run a small but progressive camera club and we have a great laugh.

I have a habit of collecting equipment and it would be embarrassing to say how many tripods I own never mind the 5 macro lenses etc etc! I love gadgets and barely a week goes by without one thing or another from China drops through the letter box!

I suppose I should finish by saying what subjects I take? it would be easier to say what I do not take - children, food and weddings

Dec 16, 2019
I am Don in Toronto. I work in IT but have always had an interest in photography, but waited until later in life to get involved in it. I am glad to see the forums return, I was a moderator in the old forums! I am even using the same username since LastPass still had it :)

Dec 16, 2019
Hi every one. From South Africa, I am 59 years old. Started taking photos back in the 70's in boarding school. We had a dark room and I did black and white. I started with a Kodak Instamatic camera, took the big casset, was it a 126? Eventually going on the Kodak Instamatic 124, the smaller casset . I had a few of them. Then one day somewhere in the 80's I bought and elderly Penta SLR complete with a 50mm prime lens, 17 to 34 wide angle lens and a 600mm zoom lens. I enjoyed that camera, it opened up many new experiences for me. I used that camera until 2002, then the shutter mechanism starting playing up. I still have the Penta. I then got an A Open Source digital camera and found it very limited. Moved on to a Kodak camera and it was fine for a while. Then I moved onto a Fuji zoom, loved that camera. It has full manual and and. I still use it for black and white, set the camera to black and white. My wife gave me a Nikon D3000. I have bought some lenses for it and I enjoy the Nikon.
When I was still allowed underground, I took photos of the equipment the company I work for manufacture. If I must say what style, it is reporter. I am working hard to go away from the reporter style and trying to be more creative. Unusual things and patterns catch my eye and if the camera is with me, I snap it. I am working on portraits using natural light from the side, its interesting and making progress slowly.
Other interests are caravan camping, fishing, hunting and doing improvements around the house.

Dec 17, 2019
Hi all. I'm Captain J (AKA Jeff). I live in northwest Indiana. I started learning about photography in 7th grade. A friend had access to his father's darkroom & I had access to a 35 mm rangefinder camera my father had. We started photographing our friends. I moved on to a Canon FTb body then an AE-1. After a hiatus lasting several years, I got interested in digital stuff and moved into Nikon then most recently, I bought a Sony a6300 and an a7II. My photography interest is mainly landscape.

Dec 17, 2019
Hi my name is keith I’m a learning photographer started with film many years ago but stopped using it now I use a Nikon d7100 and thinking of upgrading to full frame looking at the z6 or the d750

Reactions: SHaines and sward

Jan

Dec 18, 2019
Hi, I’m Jan, a retired teacher who now has a bit of time to learn how to use my Canon 2000D a little more than just on auto. Landscapes are my main thing along with any flora and fauna that happen along the way. I recently joined a photography society and am enjoying getting to know and learning from other photographers.
I do a lot of walking, a bit of cycling, love travelling in my camper van and am an avid reader. I live in the UK.

Dec 18, 2019
Hi I’m Dave,

I have been taking photos since I was 14 but still consider myself a beginner ;)

I use Canon gear and own a 6D mkii, 7D mkii and an M50, I enjoy most subjects but I really enjoy landscape and wildlife.

I was many moons ago a moderator on the original DCW forums which were shut down a few years ago so I am pleased to see this one has been opened up.

I have enjoyed reading DCW for a number of years and was lucky enough to do a reader shootout with the DCW team last year.

Dec 20, 2019
Greetings all. Lee Bo here. I currently work for a large electronics company where I work with video walls, interactive displays, digital signage and making mobile devices work with it all.

Decided to register here after learning Digital Camera World is also a Future site, as is iMore/Android Central/Windows Central where I hang out most of the time.

Reactions: SHaines and sward
Feb 15, 2020
adamhawra.com
Hi all, I'm Adam - I've been into photography on and off since 2011, when I got myself a Canon EOS 550D. What. A. Camera!

A few lenses and camera bodies later... I've gone completely mirrorless and I'm shooting with the EOS R and EOS M50. Sure, they're both enthusiast / amateur bodies but I just take photos for fun (for the time being!)

I'll be taking a look at the forums from time to time for tips and inspiration!

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2019
Hi all, I'm Adam - I've been into photography on and off since 2011, when I got myself a Canon EOS 550D. What. A. Camera!

A few lenses and camera bodies later... I've gone completely mirrorless and I'm shooting with the EOS R and EOS M50. Sure, they're both enthusiast / amateur bodies but I just take photos for fun (for the time being!)

Welcome aboard!

Artaius

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
www.digitalcameraworld.com
Both lovely cameras (as was the 550D)! Love them both, especially the R – which may 'only' be an enthusiast camera, but it's capable of serious pro results!

Hello ever'one, Jim here from the real Northern California. I was a point & shooter as a kid, but I got serious about photography in the early 1980s. Bought a Canon A1 and I picked up a used AE-1. Enrolled in a photography class, worked my regular job and shot amatuer models, weddings and portraits in my spare time. Unfortunately, I realized drugs were more important and sold most of my equipment to get them.

I sobered up in 1985, but didn't get back to photography for many more years. I did plenty of point & shoot with cheap digitals to document my work and my hobbies. Then health problems took away my career. I sulked for a while and then accidentally broke my fixed lens camera and decided to upgrade to a Nikon D5300. Apparently, that's what it took to get me back into it.

Since 2014 the passion is back, but shoot primarily landscapes and townscapes now. I can't hike, but I love roaming around the Sierra Nevadas in Plumas County behind the wheel of my Jeep. Health doesn't give me a good day every day, but when I can, I go hunting for photos to make. I hope to share some with all of you and maybe I can learn some new tips and tricks, maybe even share my ideas and opinions. And yeah, still sober, 35+ years now and only sell my gear to get better gear (okay, that's a lie - I hardly ever sell my gear, I just buy MORE gear).

Reactions: SHaines

USAFRet

Feb 17, 2020
Hi guys.
I'm an immigrant from over at Toms Hardware and Toms Guide.

I do a fair bit of hobbyist level stuff, a lot of macro close ups.
And I'm one of those heathens that is neither Canon nor Nikon. Fuji X-T1 for me...:eek:. Secondarily, an HS-10.

Hope I can make some good contributions in here.

ASK THE COMMUNITY