Question What’s the most unusual item you have in your camera bag?

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2019
My friend Maria is an exceptional photographer and she always carries some really weird and cool stuff in her camera bag. The coolest thing she ever had in there was a light flare (she used to do a lot of mountain photography in Iceland, Northern lights shots etc) she kept it just in case her party got lost. Thing is she never took it out, so when we'd do studio shots, she'd take it out and look like a badass. :ROFLMAO:

What about you, anything cool in your photography bag? Bonus points for pics.

Bob

Nov 24, 2019
The empty space from what I no longer carry. I use an all-purpose lens on my camera and some "specialty" lens for what I might anticipate were I'm going. For example - a fisheye or wide angle for panoramas, a macro for some landscapes or museums. Maybe a flash.

Reactions: sward
Dec 12, 2019
Gaffer tape (small roll) for running repairs

With hindsight probably the most unusual thing in my camera bag was a fox seeking out my sandwiches after I had left my bag on a bank 100 yards away from me while chasing dragonflies with a macro.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019
So after reading what some replies have been thus far .. ive come to the conclusion that being a boyscout has made me overly prepared. I have a sewing kit, jewellers screwdriver with spare glasses screws, small flashlight, battery charger pack for a cell phone (case mine or someone around me has a dead battery) but the all around strangest thing i carry in mine .... may not be that strange to some ... a SD card with a copy of all my daughters photos on it ... i took up photography to preserve the memories we create as a family and to hopefully one day give her something to look back on and instead she gave me something to learn and be passionate about :) so i keep that SD card with me everytime i pick up my camera bag . Sort of a silent reminder.

Now in the 3 years since she was born i have dabbled in a few styles, am still learning, have done 1 wedding, multiple portraits/family shoots, one amateur model fun shoot day (AWESOME shots came of that one), tons of landscapes and some macro shots im proud of. This coming summer ill be doing my second set of prom photos :)

Dec 20, 2019
Handbook and Drawing Pencil,

I use to put my handbook and pencil in my camera bag. because I want to draw some rare plants and flowers details for my university new project.

Nov 19, 2019
All the usual stuff but I also have an old weston hand held light meter. No batteries needed. It looks a lot like the one posted on eBay below. That is not my meter and I am in no way connected to the seller.

i have one similar as well but have no clue how to use it :) it was given to me more as a gift for doing some photos for a friend

Dec 12, 2019
I have a bin liner that can completely enclose my back pack and some string.

It's because my back pack isn't guaranteed to be waterproof, and even if it were who thinks claiming against guarantees always goes smoothly.

Luckily, I've not had to use it yet, but being in the UK the day will come.
Madmalc, I guess most British outdoor photographers do the same as you and carry a bin liner. I do (as well as a few larger freezer bags). It is the quickest and cheapest way of protecting your gear and even yourself if the inevitable rain appears. I also am not that trustworthy of manufacturers guarantees of water resistance and as you say who has ever successfully sued a large business? For the benefit of non-Brits I should add that while it does not rain continuously in the UK it feels like it sometimes! It should be noted that the poor weather makes photography so much harder (low light levels) but also makes a few opportunities (but not many). You get a great shutter speed and decent aperture under a Californian sun (but harsh contrast) but might struggle on a dank UK day particularly if a wildlife photographer.

Mar 15, 2020
I did start putting badges with wierd musings on my camera bag but they keep falling off. They said stuff about penguins coming to get us, just random nonsense. The strangest camera related thing that I have is probably my latest purchase... a lomography action sampler. A little plastic 35mm film camera that takes uses four lenses to take sequential shots a fraction of a second apart but all on the same frame. It cost me seven quid on Ebay. I have just got my first two rolls of film developed yesterday and will now be looking into how best to scan and process them. It's all a bit of fun really. Cheap frills and all that.

Nov 19, 2019
It may not be unusual to some photographers, but it was a tip from an experienced horticultural photographer. My item is a black bin bag split down the side. Excellent for lying or kneeling on the ground and staying clean and dry, what ever you are photographing. Folds up really small and costs almost nothing if you need to replace it.

Dec 19, 2019
Not usual in most countries and not fun items but for remote or night shoots; a pepper spray and a collapsible baton.
Attacks on hiking trails etc. are a very real problem in my part of Africa.

Jul 5, 2020
www.davidhares.com
The most unusual things I've recently added to my camera bag is hand sanitiser and a face mask but that is a sign of the times we all now live in!

However I always carry nail clippers, plasters and tablets which are not obvious things in a camera bag but are really useful to have. Other useful things are blue tack for holding objects in one place, mostly for small things and the odd studio shoots when I'm out and about.

David

ASK THE COMMUNITY