What lenses do you use for video?

Artaius

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
www.digitalcameraworld.com
After moving more and more into shooting video i the past couple of years, I've been gradually retooling my kit with a mind towards lenses that perform well for video. Or, conversely, replacing lenses that don't perform well for video (such as those with noisy autofocus).

Curious to know what lenses people are using, either native or adapted. I know that "proper video" should be manually focused, but I shoot a lot of vlogs so I often rely on lenses with good AF.

For my Micro Four Thirds setup, the Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 Pro is pretty immaculate for video. Fantastic focal range (24-80mm equivalent) and very quiet, reactive autofocus – plus it's weather sealed. In a pinch, or for B-camera shots, I'll use the 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 kit lens, which is motorized and a brilliant little performer, but the aperture is too slow unless I'm using supplemental light.

On my Canon setup, I'm primarily using the Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 as it's a glorious and compact lens with snappy focus – and the RF control ring means you can have on-lens aperture control. The Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8 and Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8 are both absolutely brilliant, though they come with that horrendous price tag! Obviously shooting 4K on the EOS R introduces a horrible crop, so I also use the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 when I want to shoot wide…

Matt Greenwood

Staff member
Nov 19, 2019
How is the RF 35 holding up for video? I've heard on the grape vine that it can be a tad noisy at times, are you picking anything up in your audio? Probably less of an issue for Vlog-esque content since the camera is further from the mic (if you're using a lav or boom?) - but interested to know how loud it really is.

ASK THE COMMUNITY