What was your first Camera?

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2019
Ok Nostaligia time, I'd love to know what your first camera was. I don't mind if it was a cheeky Polaroid number, a hardcore chonky serious unit or a retro 90's disposable - let me know what it was, and bonus points if you can find a picture of it!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020
An old Russian Zenit that weighed a ton :) Tried to upload a picture but I’m being told that ‘the uploaded file does not have an allowed extension’, even though it’s a jpeg!

Reactions: Bucx and jsimenhoff
Nov 19, 2019
My first camera was a Kodak pocket instamatic using 110 film. My second camera was a Yashica rangefinder bought used at a yard sale but I don't remember the model number.

Reactions: jsimenhoff
My first camera was shared between my 2 brothers and 2 sisters and myself, but I don't ever remember them taking any photos with it. The camera was a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye and I remember using it in the mid to late fifties.

That was a film camera (620). My first digital camera was an Olympus C-4000z in late 2002, which I used mostly to document my business projects (flooring) until 2005. The photo below was a "selfie" I shot in my bedroom mirror sometime in 2004 and reversed in post for proper perspective.

with-olympus-c4000z-approx2004.jpg

Reactions: jsimenhoff

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2019
My first camera was a Kodak pocket instamatic using 110 film. My second camera was a Yashica rangefinder bought used at a yard sale but I don't remember the model number.
Kodak110.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was very literally the exact model of the first camera I had at home. I vividly remember the spinning flash attachment on the top for those super high quality 110 film images taken in low light.

The 80s were a wild time to be alive!

Addendum: In the 90s I worked at a film development center in a drug store and getting into the 110 film rolls by prying them open with a small screwdriver was always a dangerous proposition.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020
Ok Nostaligia time, I'd love to know what your first camera was. I don't mind if it was a cheeky Polaroid number, a hardcore chonky serious unit or a retro 90's disposable - let me know what it was, and bonus points if you can find a picture of it!
Kodak Instamatic 100 - I got more prints back with stickers on than ones without! :0)

Attachments

Feb 27, 2020
My dad was a genuine film photographer. Even though I played with a Canon A-1 and a few Nikon F series cameras, my first true love for photography never materialized until 2008. That’s when I bought a Nikon D40 with a 35mm f/1.8G lens. This baby changed everything and my dedication to photography never faded ever since.

Attachments

Reactions: sward and SHaines
Feb 27, 2020
Aside from a 110 Instamatic it would be my Dad's Ikoflex TLR. Still have it in my collection. From there...the Yashica GSN Electro 35...A Miranda DX3 (piece of sh...)...Yashica FR-1...Olympus OM1 and 2...And finally...my first Nikon...An F2 that still runs! First digi was the Fujifilm S2.

Reactions: sward
Feb 27, 2020
Mine was a yellow and gray Vivitar camera in the late 90s that probably cost $50. My first REAL camera was a Canon Rebel T3 and I'm looking into getting a mirrorless at some point!

USAFRet

Feb 17, 2020
My first camera was shared between my 2 brothers and 2 sisters and myself, but I don't ever remember them taking any photos with it. The camera was a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye and I remember using it in the mid to late fifties.

That was a film camera (620). My first digital camera was an Olympus C-4000z in late 2002, which I used mostly to document my business projects (flooring) until 2005. The photo below was a "selfie" I shot in my bedroom mirror sometime in 2004 and reversed in post for proper perspective.
I still have a C-3000Z, inherited from my dad. He got it ~2000.

Dec 17, 2019
My first that I owned and bought with my own money (cutting lawns and shoveling snow) was a Minolta SRT101! All manual and had a handheld Gossen light meter! Shot my first wedding with it in the 8th Grade!

Nov 24, 2019
First camera was bought with birthday money on my 11th birthday 57 years ago. It was a plastic bodied 120 rollfilm "Diana" type, bought in a chemist's shop.

Feb 8, 2020
My very first camera was a little plastic thing that cost 5 Bob!
First proper camera was ALL manual Zenit E. 58mm f/2.0 Helios lens. It was that manual you had to physically close down the aperture before pressing the shutter button.
The light meter was through a selenium cell situated above the lens mount. And folks keep telling others to use manual??? 😆😬😁

ASK THE COMMUNITY