• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

What would you like to see in a feature on travel photography? Have your say!

LaurenScott

Staff member
Nov 18, 2019
Digital Photographer magazine wants to put together a particularly special article on travel photography for you - the readers. What would you like us to cover? Who would you like us to interview?

We want to go beyond the well-trodden cliches and pieces of advice, to keep it up to date for the modern photographer.

Do you want to know more about the techniques behind the shot, camera settings, the etiquette of capturing travel portraits, creating a narrative or how to research locations?
Let us know!

Technique is something I am always interested in. I'm terrible for just sticking with aperture priority and hardly changing. But also something about creating a narrative would be great too. How you would approach typical scenes etc to move away from traditional holiday snaps.

Reactions: LaurenScott
Nov 24, 2019
Techniques for quick reaction to happenings plus also some photographer related places to visit, UK and abroad, what to photograph and when best to go, things to be aware of, potential dangers etc.

Nov 18, 2019
The nuts and bolts of travel. How to get gear thru customs w/o them thinking you are a professional and therefore require a work visa. How to get thru TSA with batteries and chargers and cords galore. Insurance - just for the trip? How do you show that you owned the camera gear before you left and do not have to pay duty on the gear again? What about buying gear on a trip and bringing it home? How to not make your bag look like a target.

Reactions: TammyLynn
Nov 25, 2019
Best setting to use for when you are on the move ie boat andviewing platforms on trains how do you get sharp pictures in these situations

Nov 18, 2019
www.instagram.com
I came down here to practically type everything mbholden said above.

• How to travel safely with your gear. Checked baggage or cabin? (I'm horrified at the prospect of checking my camera gear into the hold!! ) (I'm travelling soon from the UK to the US)
  • How to pack your gear to protect it. Weight limits, size limits. (Be aware that different countries and airlines have different rules)
  • Tips like, think in advance and only travel with the gear you will use etc.
  • What are the rules for travelling with batteries etc.
  • Travel insurance for your gear. And you!
  • What's the best travel gear? What to look for. Bags, gear, tripods, accessories...
  • Tips for shooting in extreme conditions. I'm travelling soon and will be shooting from frozen snow-covered Yosemite to volcanos in Hawaii. Example, how to keep lens from fogging up. How to keep gear dry.
  • Hiring gear on the other end. Instead of travelling with it. I did that once, it was great!

Last edited:
Reactions: Paintersmate12

LaurenScott

Staff member
Nov 18, 2019
Amazing feedback, thank you all!

With this in mind... look out for a mega travel feature in issue 223 of Digital Photographer! :grin:

Reactions: TammyLynn

ASK THE COMMUNITY