Whatever happened to Kodak?

Nov 15, 2019
When I was a kid, Kodak cameras were everywhere. Literally everywhere.
Now I don't see them at all. Did they somehow fail to make the leap to digital, or what?
I figure someone here has a good story to relate about that.
MJ

Reactions: TammyLynn

rlawton

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
Hi @MJokeefe – the Kodak brand did pretty well in the early days of digital but got swamped by other brands. It's now been broken up and sold off and the 'Kodak' brand is now used by a number of difference electronics companies. The first digital camera I bought was a Kodak and it was actually pretty darned good. Only 2 megapixels, though. Don't laugh.

Nov 18, 2019
www.instagram.com
My first digital camera was a 2-megapixel Kodak! It was one of the first consumer digital cameras on the market and one of the first I could (barely) afford. I can't tell you what I paid for my current camera but I remember what I paid for that one! $850! That was a lot of money back then, for me anyway. The definition of the images I took with it was amazing. Sadly the images weren't very large, but they were large enough for me back then.

Oops, sorry, got sidetracked with memory lane. ... Yea, it's sad that Kodak has basically disappeared.

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2019
My grandpa actually used to work for Kodak in the early days (factory working I believe) The old building in Hemel got turned into flats I think...

Artaius

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
www.digitalcameraworld.com
Kodak saw a 21% boost in revenue for its film business in the last quarter, but profit is down overall. I would imagine that much of the uplift in film is from the cinema industry, which will remain the life blood for Kodak stock on a commercial scale. Though I did pick up some Portra and Tri-X the other week, so I'm doing my part to keep the 35mm business afloat!

Other than that, you're looking at lots of things like hybrid instant cameras and instant printers, though it also does some quirky things like 4K 360 cameras… and the infamous Kodak cryptocurrency!

ASK THE COMMUNITY