• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

Question What's the best photo editing software that isn't Photoshop?

Nov 14, 2019
Photoshop seems to be all i hear about when I ask about editing software. Are there any cheaper/ maybe better options around?

Reactions: TammyLynn
Nov 18, 2019
you mostly hear about photoshop because it's been the industry standard for so long. but there's also gimp, dark table, affinity, luminar, capture 1 and a few others out there.

i prefer adobe products (lightroom, photoshop and illustrator) because they're what i learned on and because they've got the most resources available. but go with what you can afford and what you're comfortable with.

Nov 19, 2019
so far ive used GIMP (lot of features beyond me), aftershot (great for basic exposure / settings changes aka photoshop for newbs), ON1 effects again fairly basic but has some cool presets, hoping to try luminar i also use snapseed on my android tablet to do some funky for fun edits .. like my profile photo .. its actually my daughters eye. ON1 photo raw has some cool features too and a decent trial period :) but aftershot is definitely my catalogue manager / basic editor

Reactions: orpheusrocker
Dec 12, 2019
There is no best single editing program that is not Photoshop. There might be a best for you personally though. If you are new to editing images then something simple and intuitive like Skylums Luminar might suit. Adobes own Photoshop elements has most of the worthwhile features of the full photoshop but is available as a perpetual licence . You should also download trials of Serif Affinity Photo and see how that works for you? GIMP has been around for years and if you are happy to put up with a quirky interface then that is free!
There are many others (most of which I own as I love software) DXO Photolab3, ON1 Photolab, Capture One.

Get trials and use them and make your own judgement against the price asked for. Do it before the january sales and you will be in the position perhaps to get a bargain.

Dec 12, 2019
To add to those promoting Lightroom CC I would like to add that is is an excellent RAW editor and has reasonable (but slowish) cataloguing if you can be bothered? But for real creative photography and the fine detail nothing beats an editor based on layers (Photoshop/Photoshop Elements/Affinity/etc)

Since Adobes Creative plan (the 20gb Classic version not the fools 1tb cloud version) can be purchased quite reasonably on occasions this is in my opinion the finest natural combination. All the bog standard editing in Lightroom CC then on to Photoshop for the creative and final touches.

Do not forget that some software editors support plugins. These can be more or less helpful.

ASK THE COMMUNITY