Which Camera is the best?

Artaius

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
www.digitalcameraworld.com
For my money (literally, since I bought one!), the best travel and all-purpose camera is the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III (review here).

It's incredibly light and discreet, it has the best in-body image stabilization around (second only to the professional E-M1X), the Micro Four Thirds mount comprises an amazing selection of lenses that are small, cheap and good, it shoots great 4K, has a fully articulating screen, has a 20MP sensor that's good for just about everything you'll want to shoot, and a 50MP pixel shift option that covers everything else… just an all-round great camera.

We get to play with every camera that comes out, here on DCW. So when two members of the team purchase the same camera, you can be sure that it's a good one!

Reactions: waynewhite

Matt Greenwood

Staff member
Nov 19, 2019
Since you've already have a specific camera recommendation above - I'll counter with what might be a better question, 'what makes a good travel camera?'.

Obviously it's subjective and completely dependant on your own budget, taste and needs - but generally I find they fit into the following categories:

1. Portable - Sometimes it's going to be worth it to take big, heavy gear with you when travelling (A safari for example, which benefits from bigger and better lenses/bodies - but also doesn't necessarily require them, smaller sensors actually become an asset for reach here due to the crop factor!), but generally you'll want something you can carry around with you for a whole day without feeling like you'd be better off leaving it behind.

2. Versatile - Ideally you don't want to be carrying around lots of lenses and gear when travelling, partially due to the size and weight but also it increases the target for potential thieves and can sometimes even limit the places and venues you're allowed into. Therefore you want a few key focal lengths covered, your wide, your normal and your telephoto, which depending on what you're shooting can sometimes be dispensed with. Generally a single standard zoom can give you all three of these, but I also enjoy taking a pair of primes (35 or a 50 with a wide option, on the Fuji's I've been shooting on recently that'll often be the 16mm 1.4).

3. Functional - This is more of a personal thing, but I hate having to take a laptop out to edit photos and get them up, or wait until I return from my travels to start posting. Cameras that have bluetooth or wireless options are extremely helpful here, letting you transfer the images to your phone. For this reason alone I lean towards Fuji for travel, since they have extremely nice SOOC jpeg files that can be transferred wirelessly on most if not all of their last few generations of cameras.

There are obviously other factors like budget etc. but these are very specific to each individual so it's difficult to give an answer there!

Another thing to look into might also be renting - if you think you'll only be using the camera or lens you want to shoot with for the duration of your travels a lot of rental houses offer insurance that covers you internationally - and it can be a much more cost-effective solution than buying gear you won't often use. It's also a great opportunity to try out more expensive or exciting lenses when you're surrounded by great subjects!

Nov 19, 2019
Interesting that you chose the Olympus. How do you think it compares to the Sony A7 series? I recently rented the a7II and am considering buying one. My other cameras are Sony alpa series which use a different lens mount so switching systems would not make much difference to me.

Reactions: waynewhite

waynewhite

BANNED
Jan 10, 2020
For my money (literally, since I bought one!), the best travel and all-purpose camera is the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III (review here).

It's incredibly light and discreet, it has the best in-body image stabilization around (second only to the professional E-M1X), the Micro Four Thirds mount comprises an amazing selection of lenses that are small, cheap and good, it shoots great 4K, has a fully articulating screen, has a 20MP sensor that's good for just about everything you'll want to shoot, and a 50MP pixel shift option that covers everything else… just an all-round great camera.

We get to play with every camera that comes out, here on DCW. So when two members of the team purchase the same camera, you can be sure that it's a good one!
thanks for share your nice thought & suggestion

ASK THE COMMUNITY