• Lights, Camera, Action! Welcome to the Digital Camera World Community. Please introduce yourself here. You could also be in with a chance to win a Skylum Prize Bundle, visit our competition thread here.

Who uses supplemental lighting, and what kind?

Do you use supplemental lighting?

• No thanks, I prefer available light

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would, but I don't understand lighting

• Yeah baby, gimme some traditional flash

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Sure do, love me that continuous / LED

• Darn right, and I use flash AND continuous

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Artaius

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
www.digitalcameraworld.com
Something that always interests me is how many people light their photographs. I used to work with a photographic trainer and educator, so a big part of my life was hosting workshops to help people understand how to see, understand and manipulate light – which is, after all, the raw material of photography.

I'm curious to know how many people use supplemental light for their photos, and what kind of light you use – namely, whether it's traditional flash/strobes or continuous/LED lighting. If you don't use lighting, it would be interesting to see if that's because you prefer the qualities of ambient illumination or because you don't yet know how to integrate additional light into your photography.

No judgements, no right or wrong answers, just interested to know!

Nov 18, 2019
usually available light since i mostly shoot landscapes. but when i shoot the rare event i use a flash. i've used a continuous light once or twice, but not enough to really count.

Nov 19, 2019
Almost always natural light. But...

On camera - Nissin i40

Studio - 4 x Lastolite 400W Lumen8 heads, bounce brolleys and a big softbox.

rlawton

Staff member
Nov 13, 2019
Mostly natural light for me, but I do use a small LED light for indoor shooting of products and still lifes. It doesn't have the power of flash but I can see the effect straight away and move it around at will to change the light direction – I mount it on a mini-tripod.

Nov 18, 2019
www.instagram.com
May I reply even if I don't have a mirrorless?

Any and all of the above, and then some. Depends on what I'm shooting and the effect I'm after. Or what I have available. I'm not picky. :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY