News Why are photographers so toxic?

Jun 6, 2020
I gave up on camera clubs as I found the ones I attended had lots of snobbery, more about the gear than about the images.
Online is fairly toxic in general.

Jun 6, 2020
You could have stopped as soon as you wrote Facebook. Full of fake accounts and trolls that just want to rubbish anything and everybody. Just look at any news article posted and see the absolute trash of humanity come out. Its certainly not restricted to photographers. I used to think it was a great way to keep up with family and friends but thats slowly been eroded away. People are so at ease to say what they want when they're not face to face with someone, I guess their true colours are on show online

Jun 7, 2020
Do better. Talk less. Study composition, exposure, subject, and intention.

Ask yourself what standard you used to identify your worthy photographs.

Toss the conventions you learned in photography school.

Slap yourself real hard if you ever say, "Every photograph tells a story."

Stop worrying and talking about yourself.

Do photography for its own sake, and to fulfill yourself.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020
I suspect that the writer of the article is being polite: the common denominator usually isn't 'photographers,' it's men. You see the same type of behaviour among car enthusiasts, audio buffs, you name it. There's a subcategory of men who feel the need to trash others online in order to show off their superior skills, knowledge or bank accounts. It's sad.

USAFRet

Feb 17, 2020
I suspect that the writer of the article is being polite: the common denominator usually isn't 'photographers,' it's men. You see the same type of behaviour among car enthusiasts, audio buffs, you name it. There's a subcategory of men who feel the need to trash others online in order to show off their superior skills, knowledge or bank accounts. It's sad.
It's not "men", but rather people.
You can find the same caustic mindset in many female oriented and dominated spaces.

When people find themselves anonymous...bad things happen.

Jun 8, 2020
You could have stopped as soon as you wrote Facebook. Full of fake accounts and trolls that just want to rubbish anything and everybody.
These aren't fake people doing this abusive trolling though, these are real people.

You can find the same caustic mindset in many female oriented and dominated spaces.

In my experience, this behaviour can almost entirely be attributed to men. I've not seen any evidence of it in my 15 years of photography coming from women, but I've had it many, many times from men.

Jun 8, 2020
You can find the same caustic mindset in many female-oriented and dominated spaces.

It's unprofessional and just plain rude. Negative comments are a form of passive-aggressive behaviour and bullying. It could be rooted in snobbery, jealousy or any number of negative emotions. What's important to realize, with any form of bullying is it is the weakness and insecurity and lack of maturity of the bully that is being exposed.

Nov 24, 2019
I think trolling is done by pathetic cowards who hide behind the anonymity of social media.
Creative criticism is fine, you don't need to be nasty with it.

I saw a poster that said:-
'You don't have to blow my candle out to make yours seem brighter!'

Ignore the morons Louise and keep going :)

Reactions: Fireheart
Dec 16, 2019
It is not unique to photographers. The real problem is there is no fear of getting punched in the nose so a lot of people with "small man syndrome" are even louder online. I agree, it is almost exclusively men.

Jun 14, 2020
It is not unique to photographers. The real problem is there is no fear of getting punched in the nose so a lot of people with "small man syndrome" are even louder online. I agree, it is almost exclusively men.
I couldn’t agree more probably for the better ( not always ) we live in a time when people have absolutely no fear of reprisal.

Particularly in the UK. there is a generation, maybe 2, of people who don’t realise if you’re a rude $¥^€ to the wrong person they will smack you one. While largely this is good I have to admit that I have met at least five people in the last year who would have benefitted from some hard taught lessons in their youth and would probably have come out the other side realising being a jerk isn’t ok.

as to tearing down, it’s usually the most insecure that do that. I will offer to show so,some what I mean online when offering feedback but I will absolutely not take their image and edit it unless they want me to, and with the caveat I am sure I have a great deal to learn as well.

Reactions: donoreo
Nov 25, 2019
I'm certainly aware of the "problem" - but although I am only an amateur (albeit a fairly serious & experienced one), I've generally found "other photographers" one of the nicest groups of people I've ever met - only too happy to offer advice or encouragement to other photographers and to share their knowledge.
Another group which has a bad image is body builders - there are whispers "out there" to the effect they are narcissistic, and thugs. But I spent decades of my life weight training at a gym, for 2 hours a night, 6 nights a week, and I don't think I've ever met a nicer bunch of people. Only two bad eggs in all that time, and the owner of the gym kicked both of them out.
Photographers - as a species - give me the same pleasure, with all that they share with others. Trolls exist - but they soon get smacked down.

Jun 14, 2020
That’s an interesting reply. I guess it just goes to show that everyone can have a different experience with different hobbyists in different groups. Your experience with body builders doesn’t mirror mine. In person I have found photographers to be mostly friendly (except one Lecherous fashion photography I knew but he was just largely “that guy”)

there’s a lesson here. Maybe it’s not just the hobby but the location or even our own attitudes predisposing. I try to consider what I may be doing to annoy that large of a group :)

Thanks for sharing.

ASK THE COMMUNITY